Tonneau Locks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill M

Reaction score
I just bought a used hard tonneau cover for my 01 ST but they did not have the keys to the locks as they forgot to keep one when they sold the truck. Do I have to buy a new lock kit ? Do I go to a locksmith or is there an alternative. :wacko:

Also, if I install and leave it unloacked will the panels flip up when going down the road ?

Thanks in advance for all your comments....

The cover will not open when driving even if the cover is not locked. I never lock mine when I don't have anything in the bed.

A locksmith will be your best option to either have the lock cylinders re-keyed or replaced.

If you want to have the current locks on the cover open with your ignition key, you need to go to a dealer and get your truck's Key Code. With that any automotive locksmith can rekey the locks on the cover.

I paid $25 per lock

Mine blew open a couple of weeks ago. I was driving too fast on the highway and it was very windy. It can happen and it was very scary. I am lucky no one was injured. You are best to lock it, always...

I installed a power lock on my tailgate so that it locks/unlocks the tailgate with the passenger door power locks. I also disconnected the key lock cables from the latches on the tonneu cover and connected manual pull cables to the latches to open the tonneu from the inside. I found this very convenient since the bed is always locked when the truck is locked and I can access the bed without a key. Just a thought....

I installed a power lock on my tailgate so that it locks/unlocks the tailgate with the passenger door power locks. I also disconnected the key lock cables from the latches on the tonneu cover and connected manual pull cables to the latches to open the tonneu from the inside. I found this very convenient since the bed is always locked when the truck is locked and I can access the bed without a key. Just a thought....
how did eliminate the lock on the back?

he installed the power lock kit.