To sell or not to sell?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eman Cusi

Reaction score
I own a 2001 Silver Tan Sport Trac and it's my 3rd car to date. It has been my dream car since I was in high school so when I finally had the opportunity to buy one, I did. I bought it pre-owned from a dealer.

The vehicle is great (I call him Johannes) and I just love driving out of town with him. Unfortunately though, he's been having a lot of problems lately: suspension, gas mileage, tires. I want to be able to keep the car but the high expenses of maintaining it is really bogging me down specially that I have to support my family after my father's passing.

What do you recommend I should do?

Thanks in advance!

One thing to consider, if the truck is basically sound, fixing it is a whole lot cheaper than buying a new vehicle.

Eman,

You have to do what is right for you and your family. A 2001 pickup will continue to cost you, but nothing too significant I suspect. A new car will cost you too, probably more in the long run.

Sounds like Johannes has a lot of sentimental value for you. That's hard to find in a vehicle. There are many vehicles I have gotten rid of in my day due to a set of what later were clearly "temporary factors." I got rid of the vehicles for what seemed like the right reason at the time.

As I look back, there are a couple of cars that I got rid of that I regretted afterwards. My 2004 ST was one, though it was the right move at the time. The reasons for getting rid of it were all about others, and my family, and providing for them. The only reason to keep her would have been for me...because I loved her. I felt as if I would be selfish to keep her. Still, it was probably the right thing to do, you just need to know WHY you are doing it and feel good about it. Don't let yourself feel bad.

My advice: Don't you feel that way. Don't feel bad, or selfish because you want to keep a friend, for yourself...especially if you are at a time in your life where more is expected and needed from you. Those are the times that you absolutely NEED to make sure you are doing things for yourself.

So, the choice is yours. Make the choice that is best for you. Don't feel bad about it afterwards, and don't look back and say: "I wish I had..."

TJR

I would suggest thinking of it this way. If you are going to get a new car and have to make payments each month, put that amount, or less, into your ST each month. Or save up a few months worth of car payments to stick into the truck. A few months ago I put new shocks on my truck for under $100 and installed them myself.

Fuel and air filters, plugs and wires, clean the throttle body are relatively cheap and can increase gas mileage. To save money on tires I have found barely used matching tires on Craigslist and replaced two at a time.

The ST is so versatile, having one is a benefit for any family.

I second what TJR said. You don't want to get rid of it and look like this...:sad: or :cry:

Things to consider...

Selling a car that is paid off and assuming a monthly car payment with another usually NEVER saves you any money in gas. If you are currently spending $400.00/month for gas, you new vehicle must cost less than that, including fuel costs.

If you buy a new vehicle because you want one, then you pay the premium it costs to own a new vehicle.

As for using that it needs tires as an excuse is pretty lame. Even new vehicles, with miles on it, will need new tires.

If you love your Trac and it is still reliable, buy a repair manual, a good set of tools, and learn how to do maintenance yourself. By doing that, you accomplish two things.

1, you save money

and...

2, you learn to to work on vehicles. Something that will come in handy later in life.

Ultimatly, it is up to you.

Tom

When I met my future wife I owned a '79 vette.

When I got married I owned a sweet red Camaro with black leather interior and t-tops.

When my first son was born I sold my camaro and I bought a Taurus sedan - I hated that car.

Now I own my 3rd Sport-trac and look back at the Taurus as one of my car "mistakes".

The reason I am on my 3rd ST is that it comes in very handy when moving large groups of kids, picking up a fridge/freezer from Sears, and everything in between.

Drive the vehicle you want. :driving:

I sold my '05 when it passed 90,000 miles and everything srarted to feel "loose"- brakes, suspension, steering, tranny, etc. Loved the truck, but I could sense some major repairs were coming. I suggest finding a nice used 2007-2008 ST and taking it for a test drive- you will be impressed. If thats not in the budget, upgrade your current ST with some accessories and drive on....

"Drive the vehicle you want."

unfortunally, tom does not approve of this!

you MUST drive a ford :bwahaha:

TJR and everyone, Thank you for the advice.

I met with 3 dealers this past couple of weeks and though the discussion on price is of course disappointing, i'm really not focusing on that. The truth is, I go heavy hearted to these meetings with prospective buyers. Hence, what TJR said makes a lot of sense ;)

I'll be making that hard decision by the end of the week and I'll post what happens.

Than you again everyone!

Eman

Latest posts