Tips for driving 4WD Tracs in Snow?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very embarrassing for a 4x4 pickup to be stuck this way.

That is harsh.

4 or 5" should not be a problem, but 1/32" might be (that ain't much).

Beyond slightly riding the brakes, I don't have traction control. Maybe someone can suggest a DIY test/ Intuitively, I'd say, while on ice or snow [litigation disclaimer: in a safe and controlled environment, blah, blah, blah], disable the traction control and hit the throttle; wheels should spin.

Gavin,

Your original post asked about how to drive in snow...not how to get unstuck. Two very different subjects?

If you are stuck the best thing to have is a small shovel for digging out of deep snow, and a large bag of kitty litter or course sand for improving traction on ice or packed snow.

In the military I used to carry my entrenching tool in my trunk, but now many stores carry small folding shovels, or you can buy an entrenching tool as most Army Surplus stores. The shovel can also be used to transfer the sand or kitty litter from the bag to the tires. :grin:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I haven't made myself clear. My '10 Trac gets stuck in snow like no other vehicle I have ever had does. It IS embarassing to be stuck on my level driveway in 4" of snow, when my neighbor goes up and down his steep driveway just fine in his 2WD F-150. He came over the last time it happend and helped me shovel it out.

In another snowfall last year I got stuck in front of my office building in about 6" of snow on flat pavement. It wasn't high centered. I had to get a wrecker to pull me out of the snow and onto the plowed lane.

My wife's Honda Pilot with nearly worn out tires went in and out of my driveway just fine too. The Trac was only effective if I got a good run from the dry garage to get out.

I know both axles are turning, because I can see the wheels slightly spinning on both ends. The problem is the traction control, even when turned off, reduces the engine output and also switches the power back and forth (L to R) so on whee turns 1/4 a turn, then the other.

I am beginning to think that something is not right with my Traction Control, beings that even when turned off, it is still actively managing the throttle and torqe from L/R. It does this in all three modes (Auto, Hi, and Lo).

I haven't gotten stuck off road in the fields, even when wet/muddy, but on level pavement with 4-6" of snow it plain won't go. Twice I had to get assistance. The other times I was able to rock back and forth, etc. and get it out myself.

This year I do have new tires, so that might help. If I have problems, I will take it in for service. I get no error messages, and it shifts fine between the transfer case modes.

Gavin,

OK, now I understand your problem.

I think the kitty litter should solve your problems about not getting enough traction. You may also want to check your tire treads. You might need a more aggressive tread pattern...but not necessarily a mud/snow tire.

Also, if you are parked on a slight incline or if the vehicle is tilted to the side, it can really cause traction problems.

As Yardsale mentioned, carpet strips do work, however I am not a fan of anything that gets you unstuck, but requires you to then stop and pick up the carpet, etc....you may get stuck again. Once you get unstuck and moving you want to keep your momentum and keep moving.

I don't agree with using any form of salt....that should be kept far away from your vehicle as possible and certainly don't carry it around in the trunk or pickup bed even though the ST bed is composit plastic.

I think your problem is probably the tires. Wide tires spread the weight over a larger surface and do not allow the tread to get a deep bite into the packed snow.

...Rich

Gavin - I read through all of your posts, and it seems your control isn't disengaging. There is a table in the AdvanceTrac section of the owner's manual that shows the difference between pressing the traction control button briefly versus holding it for 5 or more seconds. In the latter, the brake traction control and engine power control are both off, but if pressed briefly, only the engine power is controlled but the brakes will still stop wheel spin.

If you're still getting traction control from the engine and the brakes, then something isn't working correctly with the "off" function. Note, that even with the system "off," it'll kick back in if you cross 25 MPH, so if you spin your wheels too fast, you might be getting over that 25 MPH trigger.

ncstatewoofy- that is what I am thinking. Even though It says the Advance Trac is off, I don't think it is.

We will get snow soon enough around here. I can play with it and see what is going on- take in in to the dealer if it isn't working correctly.

Gavin said:
I guess I haven't made myself clear. My '10 Trac gets stuck in snow like no other vehicle I have ever had does. It IS embarassing to be stuck on my level driveway in 4" of snow, when my neighbor goes up and down his steep driveway just fine in his 2WD F-150. He came over the last time it happend and helped me shovel it out.

It sounds like your tires aren't very good for snow. The Goodyears all-seasons that came on my Trac new were horrible. When they wore out (mercifully quickly) I got Firestone A/T's that are much better. Either get A/T's or dedicated snow tires.

When there is a lot of snow I lock it in 4-Hi and usually turn the traction control off because I don't like how it throws you around. Part of the problem is that Gen 2's do not have limited-slip rears so if you turn the traction control off then you have open diffs front and rear. When there is a little bit of wheelspin the traction control applies the brake to that wheel. When there is a lot of wheelspin or all the wheels are on a slippery surface, the traction control makes the engine take a crap and suddenly I'm thrown against the shoulder belt. This is why I usually turn it off.

While it is possible to spend a lot of money and install a Deroit True Trac or a 2004 Explorer OE limited-slip rear diff, the first step I would do is buy better tires.

Latest posts