Tie Rod End blues...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John A

Reaction score
Evening all.

Thought I'd share an experience with everyone.

Took the day off today to tackle replacing Tie Rod Ends on my recently acquired 03 Mustang to combat a squeak that has developed. Car has been great so far, for the last couple of weeks it's developed a squeak when turning the wheel slightly at low speeds, doing some research lead me to the Tie Rod ends. Being an 03 I expected these types of repairs and enjoy to do the work.

First time tackling this install / replacement all went well except for one Tie Rod End that wouldn't take any grease for the life of me. Knowing before this little project I would an alignment so I figured no big deal, I'll bring it in for the alignment and get the tech to use his grease gun thinking mine was the problem, and sure enough the tech wasn't able to get any grease in the boot and we also tried changing the grease fitting with same results!!! :angry:

Tech stated he's never heard of a Tie Rod End coming defective and they dropped me off at home and ordered the part for tomorow morning and will call me after they install. Tech is a good guy, said he would install the Tie Rod End for free but charge for the replacement. I'll have to go back to the parts store I bought it from for refund.

Win some lose some I guess.

Also, thought I'd ask the question relating to squeaks from turning the wheel slighty at low speeds if anyone has experienced this? I know there a bunch of fellow stang owners here that helped out prior to my purchase and wanted to see if they had experienced this... Squeak was still there after the install on the drive to alignment shop (could be because the one didn't have any grease? dunno will find out tomorow morning after install.)

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe that I have ever heard a tie rod end squeak, but from what you are describing it sounds like you have a lower ball joint that is dried up...I have replaced quite a few of them on Mustangs for this very same concern.

L1tech, Thanks for the response. Balljoints are more common for the squeak issue like you said and what I found on the internet. Only reason I tackled them is the noise only happens when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds? First thought was some sort of steering part.

If it's still squeaking Balljoints are next, may call them in the morning to get a price and get it them done to.

Thanks!

Ball Joints will squeak at a low speed if they are dried up. I have had this problem before, you could hear me a mile away when i turned. I would have them check the ball joints, its a likely cause for a squeak on a turn. Good Luck!

Boodro

Mechanic replaced faulty Tie Rod End, two lower balljoints and a alignment. Steering is more firm and loud squeak hasnt been heard for the 20kms I put on it...

Problem solved!

Thanks again gents!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts