Tie Rod advice for an '03

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Perry

Reaction score
I have an '03 Job 2 with 118,000 mi on it and recently had a bunch of general upkeep work done on it.

Today I had new tires installed and the guy calls and says that it needs an alignment and he said it was out pretty bad.

The truck has never pulled to one side or another so I thought that was a little strange but I guess it's possible. He then calls and tells me that it needs new tie rods and that the current ones won't hold the adjustment.

Something seems fishy when I talk to this guy and although he may be correct I just don't feel comfortable dealing with them so I told him to put everything back the way it was and I will take it to my regular place to have them look at it.

I guess my question is, does that seem right to those of you out there "in the know"? And if so, what can I expect to pay (roughly) to have them replaced?

I've just put $1500.00 into it (brakes, shocks, plugs, oil change, tires, hoses) and need to budget accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

The parts are no more the $60.00 Labor is about 1 hour..... if it is the Outer tie rods

If the inners it is more money and time....

Have your place look it over.... Or check them your self if you know how..

Todd Z

Some times if an alignment is done on worn parts it will not stay in spec..... Basically you dont align with bad or worn parts..

Todd Z

Jeff,

Yes, they're the originals. They did not mention them when checking the alignment but should I go ahead and do it anyway? At 118K I'm not opposed to doing it now in order to avoid bigger problems later.

Also, can the ball joints be replaced (top and bottom) or do I need to replace the entire control arm assemblies?

Thanks again everyone.

Update: Amazingly, ball joints appear to be fine according to the tech guy.

As far as the tie rod ends go, they wanted to charge me $70.00 each for the them and I knew they buy parts from NAPA so I went and bought them myself and took the parts to them. I explained to the guy that I wasn't trying to take money out of their pocket but I was trying to keep money in mine. He didn't have a problem with it and installed this morning.

Good to go.

Thanks again everyone for your help. This is a great board and I've used the info on here many times over the past 7+ years.