Ticking when first starting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILL E

Reaction score
my 2008 v8 makes a ticking sound when I first start it. Especially noticable when it is first start of the day. It's not a lifter kind of ticking noise but it sounds like the exhaust is being diverted or something. After about 15 to 20 seconds it will quiet down over a few second period, as if some type of diverter valve is opening.

Is this normal?

A few of us Gen 2 owners have had exhaust manifolds replaced, due to broken studs. The ticking noise was just a few seconds until heat got to the manifold and expanded the metal enough to seal it up.

If you are still under warranty, get it fixed asap. Make sure they check for broken studs on both sides.

I was quoted $1200 to fix 1 side.

The diameter of the bolts is so small it's ridiculous.

Good read there in that link posted above. Both sides on my '07 have been replaced, both under warranty, and the second one was over 60k miles.... Get it done sooner rather than later. It won't fix itself or get quieter...

UPDATE:

Well two days in the shop, one was broke passenger side right next to the stut. quoted at $400, but still under warranty! NO MORE TICKING NOISE!!!! had them look at the other side, they said those looked fine.

Latest posts