Thoughts on a true dual Idea

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I have looked at and taken measuments. My thought is to cut the flange off the RT-y-pipe. Elimianate the stock convertors. Replace the convertors with 2 of the new smaller bullit style. I will stager them for clearance. After the convetors I will install an X-pipe for eqaulization. The connection for the O2 sensor will be in the center of the X-pipe.

Not sure if I will go with a dual in-dual out muffler or try to stager 2 muflers. Most likely a dual in-dual out magnaflow. I thought of droping the tailpipes down to 2" for maintaining low end torque backpresure. I believe the exhaust flow will also be better for max HP at top end.

I will dump the exhaust at the left and right right rear. With the same tip I have on my single exhaust. This wont be cheap, i know.

Any thoughts are welcome

[Broken External Image]:

RT was going to make me a bolt in DUAL cat that had the X pipe in the middle and you can still pass emissions and have no issues.....

i removed my dual exhaust and bolted in a magnaflow kit as i had to quiet my truck down...

SUCKED...

Todd Z

I say go for it, you're gonna add alittle weight from the extra pipes, cats, mufflers but I'd really like to see how it turns out and sounds.

I'm gonna be redoing my duals here sometime this summer (already have te sticks of 2.5" pipe) and thought about this but I didn't want the extra weight. I'll be adding plenty of weight with the steel rear bumper/ swing out tire carrier.

:haveabeer:

Todd, How much was RT going to charge?

Also you are saying 2 cats flanged to the RT-pipe? The X-pipe would be after the cats?

Were the cats oval or bullits? I see more room for stagered bullit cats, than ovals. Even if the ovals are stagered rotated.

I think a dual in -dual out magnaflow would be, queiter than the flowmaster you had.

The one thing I have never found in my area, is. A shop that can do mandrel bends. That may not matter much with only 4.0L motor.

If you use a dual-in muffler, you dont need the X-Pipe. The muffler will equalize the pressure for you. Single-in muffler I would use the X-Pipe or cross-over pipe.

Funmobile,

If I use a dual in muffler. I will need the X-pipe for the rear O2 sensor, to pick up the exhaust reading from both banks. Plus my experiance with performance. An X-pipe performs better pulse eqaulization, than a cross over,when instaled after the cats. Also if I use a dual-in dual-out magnaflow. The muffler is dual core. So there will be no equalization of exhaut pulses.

If I use a single in muffler. There is no point in the duals after Y-pipe..duh..

There are dual in ,dual out muflers that X-crossover internaly. But if I run true duals from the motor I would still need to O2 sensor the total exhaust. Therefore the x-pipe after left and right bank cats. Will serve two purposes. A single twin core muffler(dual-in, dual-out) will keep it compact and true duals. The whole purpose of this Idea.

Ed,

It was going to be staggered bullet style cats with 2 separate pipes to connect to. i was going to install 2 new flow master HUSH POWER mufflers and tie it into my tails.

the cost was around the same as a RT Cat now plus a $50.00 one off custom fee.

I just lost the interest with driving it every day now and never got around to dealing with it.

If your seriously considering it and are willing to deal with test fitting and stuff i can talk to RT and you can deal with them directly.

Todd Z

Be a lot easier if your Trac is a 4x2. I think an X-pipe would be next to impossible on a 4x4. The main obstruction to true duals on a Trac is the fuel tank.

They would be true duals just running next to each other after the y pipe.... Its still true dual with the cross over for the 02 sensor.....

johnny,

It will fit on my 4x4

Todd Z

Since the 4.0 engine has better torque with a certain amount of back pressure, which typically a dual exhaust system will reduce. Unless the ideal back pressure is maintained, what is the benefit? Other than being able to say that the ST has a "true dual " exhaust. :banghead:

I lost torque after going to a single in/dual out muffler to the outlets at the bumper.:cry:

Todd is right. the duals will run side by side on the right. A dual in, 2 core muffler, dual out. will maintain duals. For sound control. It might be better to stager 2 mufflers, IDK..

The X-pipe from the cats will give the best left bank, right bank, pulse equalization(for those that under stand the principle). It also alows, good O2 placement.

Along with the x-pipe and only 2" tail pipes. I expect the back pressure loss to be minimal if any.

Paul,

I have driven 4.6L(281cui) crown vics and grand marquis. Single exhaust and dual exhaust versions. The factory tunes both with 2" pipes after the cats. The dual exhaust version definity did not loose any low end. Our 4.0L are 245cui our tracs are only 36cui less.

Im from the old days of when we put true duals on the 260cui/289cui ford motors. We ran 2" pipe with no loss of tq or hp. That was when we didnt have cats creating back pressure. Back then all we had were straight thru glass packs. For noise control. I have put 2 glass packs per bank. Sometimes we didnt put in crossover H-pipe. We lacked the understanding of pulse control for eficiency.

In my opinion. On our 4.0L motors. If you install a Too high of a flowing muffler, with dual out. Any tailpipes larger than 2" all the way to a short end tip. You will loose low end.

If I do it it will be an expensive conversion, for sure. So it will be till funds pick up.

The only other thing I was thinking of doing was taking my pre cats off my stock y pipe, and cut the flange off the ypipe and have a shop add 2 inch pipes from there with the cats staggered..... then add the x or H and 02 bung. Then from there go out 2 inch to the cherry bomb body style hush power mufflers that will fit side by side for even sound and follow then the tails out either the same side or dual it like many of us have......

That would be the cheaper way to do it..... HECK if you get an 02 code you can always shut off the 02 sensor CEL with the Xcal and go from there.....

Just a thought..

Todd Z

Latest posts