The Prez caps exec pay at $500k

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said it before and I'll say it again.....

Who in the right frame of mind thinks the gov't can run business?

Gavin gets my vote! Nicely said!

Amen, Gavin . . .

Let the markets adjust themselves.

There is more to it than that. Letting the industries fail is not an option. Those in the military should understand.

If you are getting billions of the US people's money, which includes part of your paycheck, aren't you going to want them to use it to better their company, not better their daily choices of Maybach's to drive to work?

Exactly right. If you borrow money from a bank, they stipulate what you can spend it on. They do not give you a check and tell you to have a nice day, unless that is the loan you took. If you buy a car, the bank holds the title.

Why?

Because you are borrowing their money. If you use bailout money to "save" your business, in no way do you deserve some of that money to put in your pocket. That money is supposed to help the company.

Tom

There is more to it than that. Letting the industries fail is not an option. Those in the military should understand.

Successful industries will find a way to survive. Bailing out bad/staled industries is a bad option. Not sure how the military gets into this, but the government is supposed to provide this, the last I checked, and I don't have problem-one with that. If I missed your point, please expand.

I suppose we should have bailed out the horse-and-buggy suppliers back at the turn of the 20th century (approximate). Maybe I'm being too simplistic . . .

Just another "feel good" measure for those that think all execs and professionals are EVIL. This won't create jobs, or stimulate the economy.

So far Obama bats ZERO!

TJR

Why would the military folks have any special knowledge about economics? I don't really care if GM or Citibank or Circuit City goes under. They don't effect me in any way.

Even if a defense contractor goes under, it doesn't matter. Someone else will step in and take over the work. Our military is so far superior to anyone else, we could probably not buy anything for the next five years and still be the best.

Just another "feel good" measure for those that think all execs and professionals are EVIL. This won't create jobs, or stimulate the economy.

So far Obama bats ZERO!

That's still two more than Bush! :lol:

Propping back up financial institutions, slapping the hands go greedy corp types through disincentives like these, or adding a few more months of solvency to automakers that have been failing for a decade (or more), won't give Joe or Jane American back a lost job, or make Sue and Sam American that are working but now very cautiously spending start to spend more.

These things won't fix the root cause. The root cause is, once again, panic and hysteria. I've heard a lot about job losses, and there but for the grace of God go I, but more than anything I think people are spending less, not because credit isn't there, and not because they have lost or job, but simply because they are scared....and maybe for good reason.

Our time as a nation of "spend more than you make" seems to be coming to an end. It was a long, prosperous run that fueled a global economy, but the failures on Wall Street, and the credit crisis have acted as wake-up calls for individuals that that lifestyle is probably not wise, and actually is a form of enslavement.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at it this way...If the govt puts a cap on executive salaries at companies they bail out, there will be a lot less companies asking for bailouts.

Time to send out resumes. At $500k I can run a company bankrupt for a lot less money than other people have. :cool:

Latest posts