The death of the station wagon

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The death of the station wagon

http://real-us.autos.yahoo.com/articles/...

The news came like a blow to the gut for this child of 1950s suburbia: Volvo, the company most associated with station wagons for the last 20 years, will stop selling wagons in the U.S. The market is drying up. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Linky no worky: Sorry, the page you were looking for could not be found on Yahoo! Autos:sad:

With SUV's and mini-vans, station wagons are dinosaurs! I too have a lot of fond memories of station wagons though.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who grew up in a family of seven with 2 Chevy Caprice Classic station wagon "grocery-getters", all I can say in response to that article is:

HOOORAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Hmmm, I always thought that the term "Station Wagon" died about 20 years ago?? Most were taken over by all different sized SUV's. Even the Subaru Forester (which looks just like a station wagon) is considered an SUV?? And the Chrysler Pacifica (another station wagon look-alike) is called a crossover vehicle???

Station wagons will never die, they will just be renamed. :grin:

...Rich

I think the minivan kinda killed the station wagon. We resisted when we needed a bigger car to put the dog in so the wife got a Taurus wagon. Later I got a Focus wagon for a company car since we need something economical that you can stuff a lot of crap into.

The Ford Flex looks like a wagon to me. Needs some woodgrain on the sides though.

Like Richard said, the station is alive and well. Thriving actually and doing better than ever.

Now we call them crossovers and compact SUVs. It seems that Ford wants to build 20 different versions of a station wagon.

Not enough, apparently. Volvo, which was sold to China's Geely in 2010, sold just 480 V50s last year, about two per dealer.

Better snap one up, they're rarer than a Boss 429 Mustang! :bwahaha:

SUV's actually appeared in the 50's, only there wasn't 'someone' making up trendy names and acronyms for them. :cheeky: :kiss_it: :supercool: :banana:

[Broken External Image]:

My first car was a Gold colored 1968 Impala Wagon, 283 with a 2 speed atuomatic. Power steering, no air and the turn around rear seat.

ba81e3f833d803cafc883a72f994db54.jpg

Beautiful Nomad Fred!

I had a good friend that had a '55 Nomad when we were in high school. you KNOW he wishes he still had it!

Thanks Steve! Dad gave it to me when I turned 16. That was 31 tears ago. :cry:

It's still a good old friend. :driving:

Latest posts