SWC don't work

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B Big

Reaction score
I bought my st used. It's an 07 ltd. The previous owner had a aftermarket nav sys in it and removed it prior to trading it in and he reinstalled factory radio. I have the steering wheel mounted controls but they do not work. Before I remove the radio to ensure all wires were plugged in, if the control is even a separate wire. I would like to know if there is any other checks or programming that may be needed that wasn't done when systems were swapped. The temp or fan control on the controller works, just no audio control. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like it to be functional since it is there. Again Thanks

From my recollection of removing the stock head unit, there were no "additional" plugs or wires associated with the SWC.

When I installed my navigation unit, I had to put a wiring harness in series with the clockspring harness in order to get the SWC buttons to work properly. Maybe when he removed the nav unit he didn't bother to take out the add on wiring.

If he had an aftermarket HU in there and had something added on to use the SWC there are a couple wires that needed modification back there to make the SWC controller for the Aftermarket units to work. The popular ones are one made by PAC (PAC-SWI-PS model) and one made by Metra. I've had them both and I think both install similar where you need to cut/splice into factory harness for it to work. Start by looking for the manuals for install for those items and go from there. I seem to recall there is a gray with Yellow striped wire that I had to do something with back there..

The wires I'm talking about are behind the Headunit. I've linked the unit I have installed to control my aftermarket headunit. On that page you will also find a link to the instructions which will guide you to look at the wires.

There is a project in the Projects audio section about retaining SWC when installing an aftermarket stereo. It's good information to see the animal you're looking for if recalis is right about the former owner leaving that wiring behind.

Here you go:

This is on the connector to the back of your factory head unit. Pin number 18 and 19 would have needed to be modified in order for the SWC to work with the aftermarket nav system installed prior. One wire would have been connected to the "box" that makes the SWC work with the aftermarket system, and pin 19 would have been possibly cut and grounded to the vehicle chassis. Hopefully this helps you and the prior installer wasn't a filthy animal and left you some wire to work with...

Latest posts