Surprised Not!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MARVIN McINTYRE 2

Reaction score
By now I am sure that most of you have heard the news that Chevrolet is about to re-invent their Colorado Pick-up to what would be the competition for the ST (oops, post ST, lol). Not saying they are comparable with this obvious upgrading of the Colorado, but while FMC killed off the ST, we are now seeing what was going to be an obvious end-around play by GM to fill the spot that was left by the demise of our beloved ST. This story had minor details of the coming of this truck, but just the fact that we are now without a major player in the mid-size truck market, GM saw fit to upgrade it to look sportier than the previous Colorado which was very bare and had no style or substance, IMO. Chime in and lets take FMC to task, even if they don't hear or see our frustration. I don't own this thread, so just fill in your opines as you please!!! What say you fellow ST'ers. :banana::boohoo::yawn::cry::btddhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
Obsolutely true, FMC let us down...The Sport Trac was a huge seller here in the south. I see them everywhere...What were they thinking?!? The F-150 is a very nice truck, but for some of us, we don't need that much truck...the ST was a nice fit....

My hope is Ford might be playing it market smart. I have to believe they have a secret. Waiting, to see what the market demands.

Fords consolidation of parts and components worldwide. Started years before the market fell out. One reason I believe ford didnt need a bail out.

It wouldnt suprise me that they are lying about, no trac. They most likely have it on the drawing table. Also have one built under wraps. That has never been secretly on the street. All manufactors have developed cars as concepts, that never were shown. Some destroyed and some kept covered in secret garages.

I read many articles. As far back as 15 years ago. How ford was (example) going from over 100 steering wheel styles world wide to only 20. Many other market smart things ford was doing.

Others were not doing this.

Of course it has created a heartbreak for some of us..:sad:

Hope it is only temporary......

Posible I might buy another brand. To suit my need. I prefer Ford...

I never understood the "fix or repair daily". The only time any of my fords broke. I did it thru racing and uncalled for abuse...One exception, my '88 t-bird had the hvac climate computer replaced.

My '04 trac never had a warranty problem...Last time at the dealer, the day I picked it up.:love:

I drove a Canyon just to compare when I was in the market for the ST. It didn't feel much different than the Geo Metro my friend had as a rental for a week in high school. Everything just felt cheap and lacking in attention. It was like they just threw together some spare part to say they had a midsize pickup. And this was supposedly the more upscale Canyon.

I agree with Eddie. I don't think Ford is abandoning the Mid-Sized Truck market. I think with all the new models and new engines they have introduced the last few years, they just did not have time to upgrade the Sport Trac. Most automakers have a schedule for updates and redesigns of each vehicle in the lineup. That often includes huge changes and updates to their assembly plants to build these vehicles efficiently.

I suspect that within the next 2-3 years they will introduce a new mid-size truck. It may be a Sport Trac or perhaps a new name. I imagine that it will have a choice of several of the new Eco-Boost engines, and it will probably be down-sized slightly as all the other SUV's have been down-sized. It may not be built at LAP, depending upon which platform they use for the basis of the new truck.

...Rich

Insightful input from everyone here. I guess we can only hope that old Henry is watching his younger generation of the FMC family revive itself and make a steady ascent back to the top. I too, hope that something is in the works for a revival/launch of some version of an STA/EcoBoost/Limited version of an ST-like vehicle. (Did I say that mixture, lol?) I too want to stay in the Ford family as I think they have the best technology/conceptual ideas out there, but I fear if they don't, then I will have to (UGHH!!) look at some other "girl to go dancin with" in the auto world!! I like a few Chevy's, but don't want to buy one. BTW, my 2001 ST with the very Beautiful Island Blue color is not going anywhere, eve with almost 268,000 miles on the odometer!:banana: Yeah, Toyo, Mittsu, Lex, Caddy, Chevy, and all those so called long running brands, put that in your pipes and choke on it!:cheeky: Just pokin fun at'em, folks! Come on FMC, ya gotta git in gear!!!!!

I agree with Ford's move. They needed to move completely away from what they had done with the 2nd Gen ST. They also didn't have time or resources for a completely new Ranger. I think they are doing right to focus on the markets they're involved in right now. I think the reason for killing the ST also had something to do with not hurting their avg MPGs among all vehicles and allows them to figure it out in the larger F150 before they relaunch a smaller, yet still heavy mid-size pickup.

In a couple years, I expect a new Ranger. I expect they'll have an economy type Ranger all the way up to a fully trimmed 4 door version. I'm sure the engine choices will be very favorable and MPGs will not kill their average that they've been focusing on so much.

It just damn well better have a real truck suspension.:fire:

Oops, double post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean a real one. That thing is garbage...and ugly beyond words.

No compact pickup for me. If I were in the market, I'd upgrade to something with more interior room and power. That's what I've been craving.

If I were in the market, I'd upgrade to something with more interior room and power.

That's not considered an "upgrade" by everybody.

Latest posts