Sunroof - will not fully close

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny Kearns 2

Reaction score
Hello all,

Sunroof closes up to about the last 1/2 inch. The deflector may be part to blame. It is attached by two clips I guess you could call them, one on each side. The right side clip appears to be broken since I can lift the defector up and away. I would appreciate any guidance or literature on the "anatomy" and fixes for sunroof. In the meantime, is there away to manually close the sunroof the remaining distance?

Many thanks in advance

Just remove the deflector..... or duct tape it down.

OR most motors have an Allan key on it to manually crank it closed.

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben, we just had the same thing happen on our '04 Explorer. Fortunately I was able to position the deflector close enough to original position and get the sunroof closed properly. Now we only use the sunroof in the venting position, and so far no issues doing that. I can't find a way to just replace the clips, so the entire deflector has to be replaced to fix this.

Thanks guys. Yep. Clips broke. One got caught near the deflector lift an prevented full closure. Removed the deflector and the stops. Noted some leakage around where one of the stops were when it rained. Filled gap with silicone.

Latest posts