Stuck in Park

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lloyd Curry

Reaction score
This might help others with the same problem. I have a 2007 Limited that has a frequent problem of the shifter being stuck in park. Not sure anyone else has posted this but there is a service bulletin out on this problem for 2006 and 2007 Explorers, Sportrac included. Here it is below:

There has been a few concerns for this condition and Ford has come out with a Service bulletin to replace the shifter assembly, unfortunately the parts are only covered under the base warrenty and extended warranties, your truck is out of base warrenty by time and I see no extended warrenty for your truck on the Fords computer, here is a copy of the service bulletin with the part numbers for the shifter, if you want instruction to replace the shifter, let me know.

TSB

07-12-9 INTERMITTENT CONDITION - SHIFTER REQUIRES MANUAL OVERRIDE TO GET VEHICLE OUT OF PARK - VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/14/2006

Publication Date: June 12, 2007

FORD: 2006-2007 Explorer

2007 Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer Sport Trac

MERCURY: 2006-2007 Mountaineer, Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-11-12 to update the production fix date.

ISSUE:

Some 2006-2007 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer and 2007 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles built on or before 11/14/2006 may exhibit an intermittent condition where the shifter may require the use of the manual override function to get the shifter out of park. This condition may be caused by chemicals migrating from the shifter lubricant, and being deposited on the shifter switch contacts.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

NOTE: THIS TSB SHOULD BE PERFORMED ON 2006 VEHICLES AND 2007 VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 11/14/2006. THIS TSB DOES NOT APPLY TO VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 11/14/2006.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check the electrical system and make sure the shifter is getting power from the BOO switch (actuate brake to confirm switch signal is getting to the shifter assembly).

Confirm the wiring in the shifter is okay (connections are made, no cut wires).

If there are no issues with wiring or other electrical components, follow Workshop Manual, Section 307-05, Removal and Installation of the Transmission Selector Lever and Selector Lever Cable Adjustment procedures to replace the Transmission Selector.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

7L2Z-7210-A Transmission Selector Lever (6R60)

7L2Z-7210-B Transmission Selector Lever (5R55)

7L2Z-7210-C Transmission Selector Lever (6R60 - With Leather Rap)

7L2Z-7210-D Transmission Selector Lever (5R55 - With Leather Rap)

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

That;s Ford for you. Then they wonder why they are loosing money and can't sell their products. Clean the contacts on the BOO switch and try to keep them clean and shifter will probably last the life of the vehicle.

...Rich

Sorry, old thread, but I had this problem too, and my problem was NOT electrical but that seems to be what the majority of them are. The rod that actuates the switch that moves down when you push the unlock button on the shifter sometimes goes up too high. I don't recall if there was a plastic part on the end of it or not when I did my Flex Shifter Mod a year back. I put three layers of heat shrink on the little rod and it seems to have solved the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? I cannot find a photo of it anywhere that may show perhaps some sort of bushing and maybe a push nut or something? Can't see any parts in the floor area...