STS Remote Mount Turbo Systems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
I've been doing a little research on these and they seem to have excellent results and they're really cheap compared to conventionally mounted turbo setups and superchargers.

According to consumers and STS, they can be run year round in any climate conditions. I think there is plenty of room under the STA for something like this...and at $2,000 this is something I can afford by next year.

What do you guys think about this type of setup?

Under the trac with the wet, snowy, salty, dusty roads......not to mention road debris depending on placement. Sorry not for me I would go with the S/C. Thats just my opinion though

The STS rear mounted turbos appear to be very practical and are not subject to a lot of damage from road debris.

The best part is that they are mounted where the air intake is cooler, instead of under the hood where it's about 100 degrees hotter. Also, the long pipe from the turbo to the MAF/Throttle body cools the compressed air much like an intercooler without the added expense.

The most significant factor is that the waste-gate is on the compressed intake air side of the turbo instead of the exhaust side. That allows the exhaust to always keep the turbo spooled up and eliminated most of the tubo-lag associated with getting the turbo up to speed.

...Rich

I remember reading about these guys a few years ago. Much cheaper than the Brenspeed S/C, and looks like something I could install myself with the help of a tuner and a dyno. Hmmmmm....

I have seen this done one 2 vehicles. 1.) A 07 vette 2.) a 1994 lightning. In both situations it was absolutely awesome. The vette was so cool. IT was a whole kit and the turbos ran all the way to the back and mounted right behind the tailights. When you see the 4 pipes coming out of the center of the rear bumper and hear the turbos spool up it is bone chilling.

Go with the STS..if I had the money I would do it..Turbos are much more effecient and the sound of the turbo spooling and a blow off valve is sick!!

They claim they have customers with these in upstate and southern NY, Boston, Chicago, etc. They claim that some of these customers have had these on their vehicles for over 100,000 miles and have driven them year round without any issues or turbo failures.

I don't know. They are so inexpensive. I know the cost will be in the custom install. All that custom piping is going to be a mint. The turbo kit itself will probably be equal to the cost of install.

Still it would be over 50% cheaper than a Brenspeed Saleen SC kit. There are also STS dealers in NY withing 150 miles of me.

Much of their reliability can be attributed to the fact that they use/include a separate electric oil pump to keep the turbo bearings well oiled, and you can keep the oil pump going after a long hard run.

Most turbo failures are caused by a lack of oil to the turbo bearings. STS cures that problem with a vengance.

...Rich

The idea of a remote mount turbo is interesting if the boost lag problem has been overcome. However, the under the bed air filter mount is a definite no-no here in the flood zone. I would have to do something to get that air filter up higher somewhere.

STS does offer a water shield for the undermount filter to prevent getting water sucked into the filter if you hit some deep puddles and water splashes on the filter. It will not help if you are driving through a deep stream, etc, where the filter is submerged...That will require a snorkle kit.

...Rich

Took my wife to work one day during a heavy rain. She didn't believe me that the streets in Houston can flood. She was a believer when the water was slapping the floor of my F150!

dreman,

We get those kinds of rains up here in Waco too. That's why it's always on the TV, not to drive through large puddles like that. You never know if the road washed out, or how deep the water is and you can find yourself floating down stream, or your vehicle flooded.

...Rich

hey bro, i actually plan to get an STS turbo!!!

i red up alot of info on them awhile back and they have a shop/dealer bout 2hrs away from me

im thinking the single turbo cuz i dont see the need for the twin... but yes sick setups and gah i cant wait lol

:banana:

The most significant factor is that the waste-gate is on the compressed intake air side of the turbo instead of the exhaust side. That allows the exhaust to always keep the turbo spooled up and eliminated most of the tubo-lag associated with getting the turbo up to speed.

Actually waste gates are used to limit the boost. It has nothing to do with the turbine spinning. As for the intake, any "good" turbo set-up's have a BOV that is used to vent the pressure when the throttle plate is closed.

I am sure the STS system is no different.

Tom

Caymen,

You are showing your ignorance again !! But that is too be expected.

The way STS controlls boost has everything in the world to do with spinning the turbo.

The typical wastegate senses boost pressure and when the predetermined boost pressure is reached, the valve opens and exhaust is allowed to bypass the turbo which slows the turbo and reduces boost pressure. The BOV (blow off valve or pop off valve) is a term primarily used in full racing applications because they dump the exhaust gas into the atmosphere. Steet turbos more often use a bypass valve to divert exhaust gases around the tubo and out the exhaust pipe and muffler, preventing the turbo from creating any more boost.

The STS tubo does NOT divert the exhaust gas away from the turbo but continues to keep the turbo spinning as fast as the exhaust will spin it. STS only dumps the boost pressure since it is only filtered, compressed air. The key advantage that the STS turbo has is that the turbo is always getting full exhaust pressure. That reduces the inertia required to get the heavy turbo spinning at full speed...That delay in getting the turbo spinning at full speed is called Turbo-Lag which is the biggest gripe performance enthusist have about turbocharged engines.

Earlier turbocharged vehicles with a wet intake system use to suck air and fuel in through the carburator or throttlebody injector system and compress the air/fuel mixture. That volitle mixure could not be just dumped into the atmosphere. Even after the universal adoption of Fuel Injection, some Turbocharged vehicles still will control boost pressure by diverting the exhaust gasses around the turbo.

With STS turbo's, as soon as you hit the throttle, the boost pressure is at or near maximum boost almost immediately and tubo-lag is nearly eliminated.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator: