Striker Pin - 2003 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just purchased a used 2003 Sport Trac. A friend gave me their Bed Extender from their 2004 ST (1st Gen - Stainless - Model: 1U5A-19G299-AA). Checking out the bed/tailgate area; noticed that their were no striker bolts to attach the bed extender. So, went to local ford dealership and they got me Striker Bolts for my 2003. Issue is, the holes where the striker bolts should screw in are not threaded (I know this is probably funny) however, they were similar in size just not threaded. Talking with the service department, they just scratched their heads and didn't have an idea how to resolve the issue. Is it possible to get the holes threaded so they accept the striker bolts, or will the striker bolts self thread the holes (the holes appear to be the right size, just not threaded). Thanks for your help.

The strikers are self-threading. Just push in hard when when you start them and they'll cut their own threads, be careful to keep them as straight as possible until they get a really good bite.

You can also get a tap and cut the threads. I don't remember the size. You can buy them individually and don't have to buy a full set. For this job you don't even need a handle for the tap. A pair of pliers will suffice to grab and turn the tap. I got striker bolts at the salvage yard. One of them cut it's own threads without much difficulty, but the other one didn't cooperate as well so I used a tap on that hole.

Latest posts