Stereo Rewire Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattee

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Hi All, From a previous post I "re-decided" to leave my stock 6 Disk CD player in my 2002 ST and buy a new aftermarket stereo for my 2005 ST.... BUT because of finances I moved the rear sub woofer to the 2005. I carefully also transferred the Subwoofer wiring harness to the 2005 all the way up to the new stereo location. Here is the REAL Question....
of the wiring diagrams I looked up on line it says (My confusion).
- Black wire goes to the Sub Woofer (+), (Its Unshielded so Is this the Audio Drain Ground?
- The Orange / Black is the Sub Woofer Audio Ground? Might this be the Sub Woofer +?
- And last and most important... the Red / Black wire is refered to as the "Sub Woofer Enable Clip Detect" Wire???? What's That? and what do I do with that wire?
Thanks all for your help!!!!
Mattee

I ran and made my own harness for my Gen 2..... If i remember ALL the neg did the same dam thing, I think the orange was the + and the clip was the 5V turn on wire, but get an OEM schematic and you will get all the right info you need.

Thanks Todd !, after all the headachs to swap the rear speker harness, running my own would have been a lot easier, oh well... The problem I was having is the "best" OEM wiring diagram I could find (and understand) seamed to be wrong, hence my original question. I thought them having the black as the speaker (+) instead of ground looked a bit fishy! The most important thing was the only wire I could not figure out, the "Clip Detect" as I have no Idea what this is or it's purpose is?

if you over drive the amp, it "clips" this then cuts the sound or power to save the speaker or amp.....I don't know what it exactly does on the ST, but it may do something.... Ive left mine cranked for hours and it never cut out so who knows if it even works..lol

OK, Almost there, How do I hook up the wire in the image attached? Just find a Brown/BK wire and hook it there? Not sure what that is?
Last Wire.jpg

Would need a schematic as in 03 i believe they changed the wiring.... Im not sure off the top of my head..... worst case just don't hook it up.

I'm guessing it's some form of a power wire, as it goes directly from the amp to the fuse box. I'll have to research further, It just came to me....maybe it might go to the "ignition key" set up, so it turns off when the keys off, so battery wont drain? ..... But that's a guess... Just thought of a test.... I'll hook a volt meter to the old fuse wire cut, see if there's voltage, turn the key and see if there is voltage? If so I can add it to a blanc fuse location and run it to "somewhere" so I don't overload other wires with this extra power draw??? ...Oh and you are right Todd, the 2002 and 2005 wiring is definitely different!