Steering wheel control wiring

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWX109

Reaction score
Good Morning,

First post to the site.

Just recently bought a 2007 Sport Trac XLT with only 36,000 km on it.
So I have the cruise control on the left side of the steering wheel, and i have a blank space for the stereo controls.
my question is do, If i wanted to add stereo controls (lots of oem inserts online) is the wiring for the stereo controls tucked away under the steering wheel somewhere? or am I running new wiring? and if i'm running new wiring does anyone have a part number or a place to buy it?

Thanks in advance

I did this on my 2007 back in the day. The female connection is there under the air bag. I don’t recall having to remove the steering wheel. You can buy the wiring and switch, but your radio may have to be reprogrammed for it to work. I replaced my radio with a different unit so I didn’t try it with the original setup.

Thanks! I'll check under my airbag, I'm going aftermarket anyways so that will work well.
I didn't want to start ripping it apart unless it was there.

You may need a wiring diagram to sort out which wire controls what. I have a 2010 book but I think I sold the 2007 I had. Or just a continuity tester may work. I don’t believe Ford offered the wiring pigtail that connects to the switch. You can buy the connectors from motorcraft and replacement wire pigtails that snap into each connector.

Depending on the "build" it may or may not be there...

Be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable, and drain any residual current. Before messing with the air bag.
Sorry if you are familiar with this..;)

Meh, a good face punch is needed once in a while...