Steering / Suspension questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
Just got finished doing an examination of the Frame to Body bushings, mainly to understand what I'm up against, and noticed that my front sway bar control end links/arms need to be replaced. Both are slightly loose with gaps. When replacing I assume just tighen....no magic here...correct? The actual main sway bar bushings seem to be ok. I thought I remember a bolt somewhere that adjusts or changes the front end ride height...where exactly is that? Not associated with the front sway bar or the control arms, correct? Is that maybe associated with the two rear bars that run parallel with the vehicle? I've never adjusted ride height, etc, so I don't want to mess anything up.

Replace the sway bar end links in pairs. (K700542)

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_en1/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_213006_Sway_Bar_Link_Eng.pdf

Torsion bolt adjustment procedure for lifting or lowering linked below.

Last edited by a moderator:
No magic. I think I tightened mine until a couple of threads showed and called it good.

Correct. The torsion adjustment bolts are not related to the anti-sway bar end links. You may want to ensure the left and right sides are the same resting height. Mine was off by about 3/8", so I raised the lower side (figuring initial sag, not growth).

I clean and lube the frame bushings about every year and a half. They are original and show no wear.

John if you change front hieght. Extreme, up or down. You may need to mod the front end links. The sway bar must be level at the link ends. If not you will rip the bushings or break the bolts.

The way you do this is. Alowered trac will need a shorter grade 8 bolt and shorter center spacer. A lifted trac will need a longeer bolt and center spacer. Spacers can be made from 3/8"npt pipe nipples. Cut to needed length.