Steel or Phenolic Piston Caliper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Will my Vin number tell me whether I have Steel or Phenolic Piston Calipers or do I have to take of the wheel for inspection? I was told there were 2 different brake pads.

The VIN won't tell you this. You'll have to remove the piston from the caliper to find out. Who told you that there were two different parts? My experience is that these pistons are made of metal. Caliper pistons can be removed to fit new seal and dust boot; an easier way is to buy rebuilt calipers, with return of your old ones as cores.

2004-05 uses phenolic rear caliper pistons with smaller clips. Usually has an "A" after the part number.

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1306829&SUB=1306836

Last edited by a moderator:
you ONLY have to remove the brake pad. You can tell by looking at the hole in the piston. OR feel it with a magnet.

Sadly the calipers are interchangeable so you NEVER know what on the truck unless you did it your self.

I recommend buying both brake pads so you have them and do the job and just return the set you don't need.

I did a truck one time that had 1 and 1. Talk about a PITA !!!

Todd Z

The VIN won't tell you this. You'll have to remove the piston from the caliper to find out. Who told you that there were two different parts? My experience is that these pistons are made of metal. Caliper pistons can be removed to fit new seal and dust boot; an easier way is to buy rebuilt calipers, with return of your old ones as cores.
I was trying to buy pads at O'riellys

Checker used to be my my preferred AP store with quality name brands and reasonable pricing. Seems when they changed to O'Reilly's here

their selection went heavily into house brands and the name brand pricing went through the ceiling. I'm back with NAPA if I need anything quickly.

Wagner MX667A $45.99 (O'Reilly) vs. $23.36 (Amazon) 😠

I use amazon for almost everything.

Todd Z

Not that the technology hasn't changed (I hope it has) but when I had a 1980 Bronco years ago I had terrible issues with phenolic piston calipers. They were the factory calipers which I know because I bought the truck new (I'm no kid anymore). Every time they got wet the damn piston would stick in its bore the first time you used the brakes which would lead to overheated and warped rotors and ruined wheel bearings. Once I switched to calipers with steel pistons the problems stopped. Can't imagine why anyone would think the brakes on an off-road capable vehicle would ever get wet. :rollseyes:

Latest posts