Steeep right up and straighten out the newbie! (me)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Turner

Reaction score
So I've been pokin and readin and learnin a ton... but now I could use some advice and clarification. (Sorry if I get my terminology mixed up somewhere during the course of this post.)

First, can someone say for sure if a 2008 4x4 XLT V6(thus GenII if I understand correctly), can be lifted at all? If so, by how much and by what means? (ie- shackle & torsion for 1.5-2", Truxx for 2" or 3", etc) I've no desire to build a competitive bulldozer, but a couple of extra inches of clearance would be nice.

Second... my wallet is running and hiding. So many awesome projects are posted here, with instructions that even I can understand! :banana: But where to begin???

It seems logical to start with armor. The primary threats, as I see them, are 1) other cars, A) mule deer, I) sharp ground objects going through the gas tank (and maybe the rear diff too?). Popped gas tank, differential, or radiator... they're all disabling. The gas tank seems like the place to start, but what do ya'll who've done all this before think?

Once it's protected, I would feel comfortable working on other aspects. Some mild but respectable lift (if possible), a K&N intake, maybe a roof rack, maybe a winch, maybe a grenade launcher... :fire: :grin: Heck, I dunno, I'll see what comes up!

This is just the junk floating around in my head right now... by no means will I be able to afford it all right now, but taken one step at a time as the budget allows and I should have a dang fine truck.:supercool:

I'm located in central NM, so it's mostly desertish, mountains (some have trees!), and pointy rocks.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if there's any other companies out there that make a lift kit for gen2's but read this thread linked. I'm sure there is still someone out there making one. Look in the search section for lifted Gen2 or similair topics and you'll find some more.

Skid plates can be purchased from Ford. They were a standard item on fleet vehicles. A body lift may be the only option you have. Look on the board a few entries before yours, somebody was talking about a lift for the GenII. Intake, exhaust, engine/tranny programming are all available, just poke around the website for whatever you are lookin' for. Click on the "member icon" next to my name, it'll show you what I've done, plus some pictures. Bob :eek:nline:

Hey Chris, If you are around Alamogordo, skid plates for the rocks and good tires for the sand. Of course if you go "river running" down there,,,, bunch more stuff to stay dry. I used to go down there and have a blast running the rivers in an old IH Scout... back off of 82 in the mountains, Cloudcroft-Mayhill

Wowie that was quick! :supercool:

Jerry, I've actually still got that thread and the one it links to open... aka- still drooling. :grin: Maybe I was getting confused in the Gen1/Gen2 back & forth... because I know I've seen more than just those two threads talking about lifting Gen2s, but later I'll find other posters saying that it can't be done (or implying that it isn't safe).

Bob, that's good to know. Tells me that they're plentiful... and hopefully not very pricey! (means more money for other stuff!) The price I saw in the Projects section looked awesome.

LaRue, I'm closer to Socorro/T&C, but that's great advice! I'd love to do some riverbed playin! Do we ever have meets around these parts?

Chris

Chris,,, don't count on any meets (as such) that's NM. I know just where you are, I've been out river running out past the big dish array. Hang a left at Datil and go towards Reserve. It's been many many years ago when I was in the AF in Albq. Have fun, when Rose and I win the lottery, we're moving back to Albq. There has been 1 meet in NM... At my house.... Check the link

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts