ST engine not turning over

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sport Trac had no problems and was rarely starting to sitting idle for 6 cold winter months since it became our 3rd vehicle. Vehicle wouldn't start even after jump starting. Replaced ~6year old battery and negative terminal connector due to battery acid. vehicle was able to start but would stall if I did not press the gas. after doing this for several minutes, the engine won't "turnover" when turning the key. After a few hours, it reverted back to starting again but would stall if not pressing the gas. Several have told me that gasoline sludge may have solidified after sitting for so long but if that were the case, wouldn't it cause a misfire causing the engine light to turn on?. Another mentioned it can be an EGR valve where since u find that air leak and cover that hole, the engine should remain on without any problems.

What may be the problem? Any advise is appreciated!

Unless you disconnected the battery and cleared them, ALWAYS check for stored trouble codes FIRST, whether you have a check engine light or not.

Call around, most larger auto parts stores will check for free. If any are present, write down the NUMBERS and post them here.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the idle, I would take the intake hose off at the throttle body and spray some throttle body cleaner in there to remove the sludge buildup, then remove the IAC and clean that. Idle air control. Should be able to find those in project section or Ford Explorer on you tube.

Dave 2003 XLT

I think you have two problems.

1. Will not idle unless you press on the gas pedal is caused by a dirty IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. You need to clean the IAC and probably the whole throttle body.

2. Intermittent not cranking even when jumped? could be a number of issues like battery cables connections, but you seem to have addressed all of those issues. If you have a Gen-1 Sport Trac, you may have a loose connection in the steering column caused by insufficient slack in the wiring harness. When the steering wheel is tilted up or down, it pulls on the wiring harness and can break or pull wires out of the connector on the steering column. If it's the wire going from the ignition switch to the starter, it will not crank. I had that same problem with my 2003 Sport Trac that the dealer could not diagnose until it failed completely and had to be towed to the dealer. After trying all day to get the vehicle to crank, one tech remember seeing something about the steering column connector.....That was the problem and after he fixed it, I never had the problem again.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
If your Trac set for 6months winter. I would also check the air intake filter box. For mouse and rats nest. That could also be chocking the air inlet.

Thanks everyone! I tried all of the above but all looked good. I called AAA to have it towed to a trusted auto shop. The AAA mechanic mentioned that it was a faulty fuel pump cuz he didn't hear any "zip" near the gas tank when I would start the engine - basically no fuel was being pumped to the engine. The auto shop agreed and also had to change the spark plugs since I kept trying to start the engine granted they needed to be changed anyways. Glad to have my truck running again!

Latest posts