ST 2003 on a long road trip?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cynthia Grant

Reaction score
2003 ST with 190K miles (original owner)

My ST has been pretty reliable over the past 12 years, but I've never driven it on a trip farther than about 600 miles (round trip). I'm now considering a 1,500 mile trip and would love to take my ST rather than rent a vehicle. (FYI - this would be in early Sept, so might be hot weather)

Do you any advice on this? Considering the age and mileage of my ST, am I just asking for trouble by taking it on such a trip? Of course before attempting such a trip I would have my mechanic do a thorough service on the truck. Other than the obvious things a mechanic would normally check, are there any ST-specific items that my mechanic should pay attention to before I take it on the road?

Thanks for any advice!

How many miles are on your Trac?

I would suggest taking it to the Ford dealer before the trip and have the oil changed and filter, and have them do the 39-point check, as well as any needed maintenance according to the schedule that would come due before you get home. Tell them you are going on a long trip and you want it checked over.

If it vibrates or steering wheel pulls, have them check the wheel balance and alignment. Make sure tires are properly inflated and have adequate tread.

Trac-specific areas: Check the engine coolant thermostat area and the radiator for leaks and/or wetness.

Our Tracs are tough, and I would not hesitate going on a long trip. Just make sure everything is working OK, and that the service is up to date.

HAVE FUN!

Last edited by a moderator:
You have several months to peck away at it. Besides the above, and keeping in mind that I'm more anal than most people when it comes to vehicle maintenance....

Change ALL the fluids and filters. Everything. Oil, coolant, tranny, t-case, axles, brake fluid, power steering, fuel filter. Fresh driveline fluids will help the mpg a little bit too. Valvoline Qwicky Lube does the axles for a good price.

Spark plugs and air filter if it's been a while.

Balance and rotate tires.

Four wheel alignment.

Serpentine belt.

Get the battery checked and replace if weak.

The front wheel bearings and ball joints are a weak spot so have them checked.

Getting your Trac ready for a long road trip is part of the fun. You have several months in which to do it. Weigh some of the suggestions others have made, then spread 'em out over the next few months.

How about the alternator? If I got about 80K out of my original alternator and if you are at 190K and you are on your second one...then I would consider putting in a new alternator.

Alternators for Sport Tracs are relatively inexpensive and can be replaced in less then half an hour (along with a fresh serpentine belt as Vic suggested).

Also, lets face it...190K miles. That is "up there". Maybe get a years worth of AAA?

Please don't let anyone sell you a four wheel alignment on a 2003 ST, which is a Gen 1. The rear axle alignment is fixed since it is a solid axle. The Gen 2 STs (2007 and up) do need a four wheel alignment with their independent rear suspension.

With that said, other than the fact that it's starting to look like I need to do the front suspension on my ST yet again, at 330,000 miles my ST is totally daily driver dependable. I would have all of the fluids changed, and let your mechanic look it over, but it should be fine. I'd take along some extra fluids (oil, trans fluid, and coolant) just in case, and check the fluid levels once a day, but that's just me.

And change out that stupid vacuum hose elbow for the PCV valve, just in case! They have a bad habit of softening over time and leaking at just the wrong time, causing the computer to throw a code. The radiator hoses wouldn't hurt, either.