Speaker/head unit upgrade

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Hinebaugh

Reaction score
I've got interior panels off of my '04 for other reasons, thought I might look into an audio upgrade while things are opened up. My XLT Premium has the factory Pioneer 6 disc changer and the sub woofer. I would much rather listen to what's on my Ipod rather than mess with CD's, and I listen to a fair amount of radio and would like to get the high def stations. Any suggestion on head units?

2nd issue concerning speakers, I don't have a problem with what I have now, was just toying with the idea. I'm not sure of the overall quality of the factory stuff with the subwoofer package, maybe it's already pretty good. If I do replace the door speakers, should I upgrade the subwoofer too, or should it be OK unchanged?

Recently replaced the 6 C-D changer in my 2001 with a Kenwood. Bought the Kenwood through Crutchfield.

The kenwood has AM, FM, one CD, I pod (USB) and an audio jack for my sirrus radio. And a remote.

The radio came with all the necessary pieces and cables to complete the job.

Waited until the CD went bad before replacing it. Bad move, I have so much more stuff on the I pod. Great choice for me, cost around $160. Would do it again.

On removing the old radio, I chose to remove the panel holding the radio. This provides alot more room for connecting the cables. Also a good chance to clean up the duct work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just recently did this mod to my Sport Trac, it was well worth it. When I first bought my ST last year I replaced the speakers and could barely tell a difference, with the new head unit it is night and day. I purchased a Pioneer double-din head unit from Amazon and the wiring harness from Crutchfield. To put a double-din into the dash you have to modify the subdash (the center gray part) a little, by shaving down some parts you will never see again. The best part of the whole mod is that the new head unit has a SD Card slot, which I have stuffed with a 32gb card, I don't even have CDs in the car anymore. I did keep the original sub, it sounds great with the new unit, had to wire in a voltage regulator to bring the power output from 12v to the factory 4ish volts.

Last edited by a moderator: