Spare Key Duplication Advice (Only Have One)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
After owning the ST for 16 months with a single PATS key, feared I lost it. (Found)

My Ford dealer quoted $75 for programming, and $30 for each additional key.

Checked the local HD's and Wal Mart's that weren't equipped with Axxess machines.

Also many reputable locksmiths are in the same price range. (Pop-A-Lock ,etc.)

Advice appreciated, I need to do this. :btddhorse:

Last edited by a moderator:
With a single key, you are pretty much at the Mercy of a dealer or a higher end locksmith.

You can get the keys from eBay pretty cheap, and you can even get it cut and almost anyplace. But to get it programed, you are up against the wall a bit..

I STRONGLY suggest that whatever you do, get a third key as you will be able to program it yourself. Then, if you lose one you are still good to go and simply order another one as the third key spare. Well worth it at about 30 bucks compared to 80 ish...

X2 what Joe said.

I'm in that same boat but haven't done anything about mine yet, need to. I've bought keys from this seller before, only sells OEM script & Strattec (buy nothing else). A dealer here quoted me $41.50 to program the keys when I got my 1st Trac, which had no keys. Like you, I'd better get it done!

Coastie & Stevie M (ncranchero)- Just needed encouragement to get this done at the dealer.

Above all, I need the peace of mind. Consider it done. Thanks braddahs !!! :haveabeer:

(Also LaRue)

Yup, it sucks..... The day i got my 03 and 04 i had 2 spare keys made...

Todd Z

LaRue- Heard you have a luxury suite for the Daytona 500 next year. Let's talk. (Forget the keys) :grin:

Ditto on what Todd said. When auto makers went to the chiped key. I imediatly had several spares made.

When I bought my used 04 the dealer only had one key. For security sake I had the dealership cut a new key and program the system with a new code. This set me back $115 but now any old keys out there will not crank my ST. They can open the doors but driving off is not a possibility.

When I bought my used 04 the dealer only had one key. For security sake I had the dealership cut a new key and program the system with a new code. This set me back $115 but now any old keys out there will not crank my ST. They can open the doors but driving off is not a possibility.

I usually try to explain that to a customer when they come in after they've lost all their keys or are down to one. The biggest kicker is when the vehicle is over 10 years old, and we can no longer get a code for it because Ford's deleted it from the database.

Ford dealers delete transponder key codes after ten years?

Eight duplicate PATS keys maximum to program? Advanced thanks.

I purchased my 2003 from a private party who only had one key. Had I known how expensive those keys were I would have asked for a discount. I had two more made but the real problem came with finding the correct fobs that operated all the door and alarm functions (remote starting, etc.). I finally found them online and followed directions on how to program them. I'm left with the feeling that this "one key" duplication cost is a ripoff.

When I bought my new 2001 Sport Trac the dealer told me not to loose the key because a replacement cost $35.00, so why do they cost over $100 now. Inflation has not been that high, but dealer greed IS.

...Rich

Gerry, don't understand the difficulty in getting a fob that worked. They interoperate between a lot of models. I have one fob that I pulled out of a Crown Vic in the junkyard programmed to both my Tracs, my 08 E250, my 99 Mustang, my Moms 05 Escape, My sisters 2 Escapes (01 & 06) and my uncles 03 F150. Let me know if you need help with more fobs.

One thing is obvious, dealership charges for keys and programming varies greatly. So, it can't be denied that some are ripping you a new one!

No code database after 10 years. That's absurd! You supposed to just junk your vehicle because you can't program a key??

Just bought a 2006 Escape for the wife, and got a spare key made and programed at my dealership for $38.50! Got a great Service Adviser at my dealership.:supercool:

I just purchased a 2004 Sport Trac that came with only one key. I knew nothing about the coded keys until I went to have one made at my local locksmith. I was able to find a local locksmith closer to my house in one of those drive thru type buildings open 24 hours. I gave him a call and had a 2nd key programmed for 60.00. I then purchased the 3rd key on Amazon and just had it cut by the same locksmith. I cannot get the key to program and I have tried many times. I have got the key to start the engine but the theft lite blinks really fast. It went out and I thought I had succeeded until I tried to start the engine again and nada. Did this many times tooo. Anyone have any suggestions? Help please.

Thank you

[email protected]

[email protected]