Something weird happened to me...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerica Marshall

Reaction score
Ok yesterday I went to pick up chick-fil-a for lunch....when i was on my way back I slowed down to turn when I did turn I tried to give my ST gas and it wasnt going any where....It had a slight pull, the engine was still on i turned into a subdivision and stopped when I completely stopped it was spittin and sputterin....so I turned it off called my boyfriend to come down there and while he was on his way I tried to start it again and it was still spittin and sputtin....so i turned it back off and waited about 3 mins and when he got there I did it again and it ran fine....(it always does when someone else is around) but i drove it back to his house and he couldnt figure out why it was doing that...but has any one else had that happen to them?? I am afraid that when i get on a big hill on the road some where its gunna do that and i wont be able to pull over...

thanks in advance,

Jerica

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been some owners that have experienced this in the past. It's a one time "hiccup" to put it lightly. It's weird. It has happened to me once. If it doesn't happen again anytime soon, I wouldn't worry about it.

Hopefully someone else with more knowledge than myself will chime in and confirm that it's okay too.

We call it the Sport Trac gremlin ....

IT may never come back...

Todd Z

If it does it again, just for kicks try hitting the fuel pump reset button. Either behind the front passenger kick panel or on the firewall above the passenger's feet, where my son's size 13's bump it and shut it off.

I had that once! well my cousin did... but i was sitting passenger seat when it happened to my trac. I blamed him and almost killed the poor guy :p

Happened to me twice. Both about 2 years ago. Never found a problem, and hasn't (knock on wood) happened again. To me it sounded like a vaccuum problem. Give it gas, it would try to stall and the idle would be irratic.;)

I had a weird thing happen to me like this before except it was a little different. I was driving about 50mph and I slowed down to make a right hand turn into a friends work and the truck just shut off. On my digital odometer, it said check gauges, but I couldn't b/c the truck stalled out and all the gauges were in the position to where the truck would be turned off. Course, my steering didn't work, b/c the motor wasn't on, but lucky for me, the brakes did or otherwise I would have ran into a parked big rig. Once I came to a stop, I put it in park. Turned the key in the off position and then it restarted back up. Have no 'effin clue what did that, but it sure gave me a scare of hitting a parked truck. Mine didn't give any spit or spudder, it just shut off.

I think we've all expirenced this one time or another. Has only happened twice since I got the ST back in 02.

One thing that made gremlin like symptoms, then led me to believe my fuel pump was bad, was the wiring harness going to the main computer, it came loose. Was getting gremlin symptoms daily, then finally just wouln't start, and couldn't hear the fuel pump run.

Something to keep in mind if it happens often.

The main computer (ECU) is under in the firewall, passenger side.
I had a simular issue years ago with a T-Bird. When I got down to 1/4 of a tank. A hard turn would cause a sputer and shut down. I pulled the tank to replace the fuel pump and found, the sock had come off the bottom of the pump. There is a tray in some cars tanks that the pump sits in. The purpose is to hold fuel for when making turns. Lose of pump suction on FI motors. Is imediate no fuel to the injectors.
I never had any such of these issues with my Trac. I have had the electrical gremlins from a bad or weak battery.

Latest posts