Solved - Starter Problem (Electrical)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul McDevitt

Reaction score
Not my Trac, my 1992 Winnebago camper built on a Ford E350 van chassis, 4.8L V8. Thought I had a bad winding in the starter motor, but replaced it and have the same symptoms. Turn key to Accessory, all is well. Turn to start, I hear an audible CLICK, dash gauges drop, lights dim and... sometimes it starts, sometimes...nothing. No noise from starter motor. Turn it on/off a few times, eventually it starts strong. Replaced starter motor, no change. I hear a loud click every time, I'm assuming that is the starter relay. Will try to meter while wife turns the key.

Side note - bringing this remanufactured starter motor back, it makes a racket when it does engage, although it starts the engine.

Ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Battery is fairly new. When this happens, engine doesn't crank at all, starter doesn't engage at all, no chatter, nothing. It's been doing this since all last summer, but now it happens more often, and I have to turn on/turn off more times to get it to work when it does happen. When the issue does not present itself, there are o issues at all, cranks strong immediately, and turns right over.

Not sure, I have never had to dig into this vehicle before. Bought it 4 years ago, and drive it 4-5 times a year, maybe 1200 miles each year.

I'm looking around for online manuals, etc.

Wait, I just found a voltage regulator for sale, so it must have one. What are you thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, Dingo - I'm assuming the loud single CLICK I hear when I turn the key to Start is the starter solenoid clsoing, but maybe it has bad contacts. I will get a solenoid and regualtor now when I take back the noisy remanufactured starter motor.

On a Vehical that old would also replace the main cables that attacch to the solenoid.

They can and do erode under the insulation.

What Bill said. I had a plymouth that the positive cable was coroded half way to the starter. Couldnt see it until you striped the insulation. Also check all you main grounds to motor for tightness.

Doesn't claim a charging problem, so why replace the regulator? Solenoid can close, but not pass enough current to turn the starter.

1- Try a different battery.

2- Try jumping the starter directly, bypassing the solenoid.

3- Check the chassis ground & cables.

Good Luck...can be frustrating...

"Solenoid can close, but not pass enough current to turn the starter. "

Les - you hit it on the head. That thought occurred to me after I replaced the starter motor the first time (with the wrong one, which caused the noise).

Now I have a new a starter motor, and a new solenoid, and it just started right up 6 times in a row.

Thanks everyone for your help!