Smell gas

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bendfeldt

Reaction score
07 ST 4.6 I've been smelling gas fumes the last couple of times driving the ST (70,000 mi) and can't find where the smell is coming from. Just had plugs done last week so maybe something got bumped in that process. Need help in what to check.

Thanks

Benny

Leak at the fuel filter? Any check engine lights? Could be a hose for the evap recovery system. Afraid you are just gonna have to climb under and around the truck and look for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guarantee you have to tighten the spark plugs......

Trust me......

Just saying......

Don't know why........

heheheh

Todd Z

Benny,

My first thought was "Why would changing the sparkplugs cause gasoline fume problem". Then I read Todd Z's reply and the light bulbs went on :grin:

I am confident that Todd has hit the nail on the head :supercool::supercool:

Because sparkplugs are often difficult to get at, easy to cross thread, and a bitch to removed without breaking them, many mechanics tend to ease up on the torque specs and that leads to leaks during compression. I am confident that Todd speaks the truth...probably from experience. :grin:

...Richard

I dont know about the fuel rail on the 3 valve 4.6L. On my Moms 2 valve 4.6L I had to lift the fuel rail on the pasenger side. It wasnt easy to make it re-seat on the injectors. I watched and smelled closely. Because I didnt have new injector o-rings. I would have a 44 mile round trip to get them. In the end all was well..

ITs actually a common problem on the 4.6, The gas smell comes from the loose plugs, especially if you just changed them within 5K miles.

I have probably re tightened 4 sets here for friends that had mechanics change them

Todd Z

Todd Z,

I knew you spoke from experience and everything you said made perfect sense !! :supercool:

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, Do we have an update?

Todd Z

Latest posts