slow fuel fill

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

val bisagni

Reaction score
Hi all,

The slow fuel fill seems to be a common issue related to fuel vapor canister and or vapor solenoid. Any input on most common/successful repair?

I think it is more to do with the gas pump than anything wrong with the vehicle?

I know when I go to a particular pump at that station, you have to dribble the gas in about a teaspoon at a time or the pump with shut off. All the other pumps work fine, and you can pump at or near full flow!

Try a different pump or even a different station and see if that helps the slow-fueling problem.

...Rich

Yeah,, this has been going on for a while,, many different pumps and every different thing I could come up with. It's a known problem. Was just looking for the most common/successful fix.

If my trac is close to 1/4. some of these new pumps do that to me. Seems like the shell stations are the worst. I cant run the nozzle but 1/3 open. Or it kicks off all the way to the full tank.

Hi, My 2002 fills just fine until the last 5 gallons, then I have to trickle feed it. I don't normally top off the tank like this unless I am on long road trips. It is a little annoying and I realize that some of the extra tank capacity is for safety reasons.

I've checked the vent lines and they look fine, is there a project for checking/cleaning/replacing a fuel component that helps with this?

From what I've read, there are back flow valves on top of the tank that protect the carbon canister from liquid fuel. If liquid fuel exists in the canister, then it's the valves. If not, then it's the vent solenoid.

The condition I have is similar but far worse than what you guys mention.

No matter what pump, orientation, angle or other, I'm at the pump for 20 minutes plus trickling it in as slow as I can,, start to finish.

And It is a known condition across all explorer's. The later models had an Icing problem for which ford made a retrofit vent hose.

val,

All modern vehicles have the EVAP Canister, and they all have a special valving system that separates liquid fuel from fuel vapors....liquid fuel is sent back to the gas tank, and vapors are held in the canister until the next purge cycles, where they are burned in the engine. If this fails and excessive amounts of fuel get into the evap canister, you will normally get a CEL

If you are always having a problem fueling your vehicle at every gas station and every pump, you probably have a failure in the gas tank venting system and you are not getting a CEL...there may be a failure in the evap sensors?

...Rich

This happened on my 2003, NJ gas station attendant complained about filling my tank. Got home and inspected things. Some insect or spider had made a cocoon in the vent line just inside the fender. Hope this helps.

Dean,

I don't believe that there should be an open vent line??? The Evap system is a closed system for that purpose...to keep any fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere.

There was a recall of 2003 model Sport Tracs because a vent hose was a little too short and would come loose...that would allow water, dirt, road debris, and probably insects into the evap system. The solution was to add a short plastic elbow and reattach the hose. This problem appears to not give a CEL, so you would never know unless you see the hose dangling by the rear wheel well. If the vapor canister was damaged, they supposed to replace it, followed by the hose mod.

I had a 2003 and got a recall letter for this problem. At the time I was working ar a Ford dealership so I had the shop look at it while I was working. Mine was not disconnected, but they still did the elbw mod as required.

It sounds like your 2003 never made it in for the recall, and your vent hose came loose from the evap canister... I don't know if they would fix it under the recall after 12 years?? But it might not be a bad ideat to ask....you might get a new evap canister..:grin:

...Rich