Silverstar Ultra 9005s too bright?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads Tractors

Reaction score
Gonna replace my factory fogs on my 02. I drive with them on at all times and mostly traveled highways. Would the 9005s be too bright and/or burn out quickly?

Too bright??? No ! The more you can see at night the better. Brighter headlights will not blind oncoming drivers if they are aimed correctly and you dim your high beams.

Will Silverstar's burn out quickly? That depends upon how much night driving you do. I had a set of Silverstars in my new 2001 Sport Trac that I purchased in 2000. I took the bulbs out when I traded it for my new 2003 Sport Trac and put the Silverstar bulbs in my new Sport Trac. I drove the 2003 Sport Trac until early 2008 with the same bulbs. That's about 6-7 years of use without a bulb failure, but I do not do a lot of night driving...and I still don't.

I have Silverstars in my leased 2013 Hyundai Tucson and I have nearly 3 years of use on those bulbs without a failure.

I also heard of some people with Silverstars that burned out in just a few months?? I am not sure if the early bulb failure is caused by defective bulbs, or improper installation.

It is very important not to touch the glass part of the bulbs when installing them. Halogen bulbs burn very hot and the oils from your hands on the glass portion of the bulbs can cause early failure. It is recommended that you use gloves, or hold the bulb in a paper towel while installing the bulb. I go one step further....I install the bulb into the bulb holder using a paper towel, but then I use an alcohol wipe to clean the bulb insure any contaminates or finger prints from the manufacturing or packaging process are removed.

I can't say if my long bulb life is because I don't do a lot of night driving, or I ensure the bulbs are clean when installed?

...Rich

I have 9005 Silverstars in my fog lights. They're nice. But, you have to use a Dremel to notch out a wee bit the make them fit the guides on the sockets. No biggy.

I have the 9005 silverstar regulars for fogs. I have Ultras' for headlights. They are great. I rewired the fogs from the projects, to stay on with brights. I did have to tweak the fog's height adjustment down alittle. They were blinding in rear view mirrors of the car in front of me. My sister let me know that...LOL.

Also I found I didnt need to dremel a notch. Im able to install them and remove them, by tilting the bulb slightly. Very easy to install.

I have replaced them once in 6yrs. They burned out one at a time 2 months apart. The ultra's in my headlights are still frist set.

When I had my Ranger I used 9005 "fog light" bulbs I got from J.C. Whitney. Brighter but they have a bit of yellow to them. For some reason I can't get the bastiges to fit in the ST housings though. Maybe take a Dremel to them some day.

I have Silverstar bulbs in my fog lights. but I used the regular oem part #. I have the SS Ultras in my headlamps. I like the combo as I find the Ultras are not the best in rainy conditions at night, but having the slightly more yellow Silver Stars in the fog lamps is a great combo.

95% of reviews you see for the bulbs that are negative are user error. If you touch a halogen bulb with your fingers oil from your skin will be applied to the glass and cause a hot spot leading to early failure. When I was a parts counter guy at an auto parts store, I'd get a lot of returns on bulbs. Upon looking at them and speaking to the customer, I'd find that they just grabbed the bulbs and got the glass oily causing early failure. Wear gloves and if you think you touched the bulb, wipe it down with alcohol to remove oil.

My Silverstars that I put in my '01 in 2001 were still burning strong in 2006 when I sold it. Put silverstars in my '07 the day I picked it up in July 2006 are still running bright as well. I know they're not as bright as new, but they're still operating well.

JohnnyO, I bought some JCW off road 80/100 watt bulbs. They stank, not as bright as the 55/65 watt silverstars.

Ditto, on touching them. I always' wipe them with alcohol wipes out of the package.

I think the oem fogs are 45 watt. The 9005 is 65 watt.

Sylvania makes 9145 SilverStars for the fogs (which is the correct bulb number for the fog lights). Why not just use them? That's what I did. :supercool:

I just bought some Cree LED's for my main 9007 sized headlights and the H10 fogs. Since my truck currently has no motor I can't tell how much brighter they are. I'll report back my findings once I get this thing back on the road with the 5.0 in it!

I decided to go with SS 9007 for the headlights and SS 9145 for the fogs since I already have 100W KC driving lights. So far happy with my choice.

Latest posts