Side window deflectors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Girouard

Reaction score
I bought my ST used about 5-6 months ago and it already had the side window deflectors installed (oem parts). As I am driving down the highway I hear wind noise coming from these. Has anyone tried with and without comparision and what was the outcome? What is the purpose of these and how do I remove them?

I am very happy with my ST and just want to make it even better. :wub:

Noise will be higher if you remove them. Mine quieted the cab down a considerable bit, especially with the windows down, which is how I roll. :)

I've had them on last two vehicles I've had. I live in the south and leave a crack in windows to keep heat down, don't have worry about those daily summer showers. Yep they added to wind noise but I think for me it's a good trade off . Beside I like the look.

Haven't put them on my st yet, but I had them on my Zr2 Blazer and they seemed to me to cause an increase in wind noise but the benefit in the hot weather(being able to leave your windows cracked open a little) far outweighed the increase in noise.

If you add the moldings that come OEM on the 2004's and newer it will help dramatically.

These moldings mount to to the rear doors. Once mounted they create a seal that is between the front and read door and travel from the top of the door down to about where the windows end.

The two cost me about $50.00. Worth every penny.

Here is the project that persuaded me to do it.

The pictures are a bit confusing. However, once you get the moldings in your hands it will be somewhat more clearer to understand. (Not my project).

Last edited by a moderator:
I put on the side window deflectors after 2 years without and noticed a considerable noise increase.

I keep them on though because

1. Nothing like being able to keep the windows cracked when you park in the hot sun without others knowing that they are cracked.

2. I'm not a big AC fan so it's nice to be able to drive in the summer rains without getting the inside of the ST wet.

Mine were from Autoshade. They use double sided tape to keep them in position. To take them out, wait for a hot day (to get the tape a little warm) and pull down.

My drivers side deflector just started to hit when the window is rolled up. Tis is at the front of the deflector. Is there a way to fix this? I tried pushing the deflectoer back up, but that didn't help.

Woody, same thing happened with mine and several others on the forum. I just trimmed the part of the deflector that was catching. Once you get the window up past into the channel, just keep it there for a few days so the deflector can adjust. I haven't had a problem in the year since then.

I just got around to putting them on the Trac. Had them on the two Rangers I had before. If anything, I thought there was LESS wind noise. Got the AVS units each time.

Latest posts