Shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about replacing my shocks. I know my biggest problem will be is getting the nuts and bolts off. It seems like everytime I attenpt something like this I have problems with the bolts. Any ideas on how to handle this? Thanks

spray them with penatration fluid, let them soak for about 10 minutes.

Prestone makes a good one.

I think it's better than WD40.

One other thing to add. My 04 ST 4x4 shocks have never been replaced. 90k miles. So I imagine these bolts will be a pain to get loose. So except for the tools listed in the project section - is there anything else that will help me loosen them up.

Thanks in advance

seious answer, scrub them to get any built up dirt off etc..and spray them with that, Preston Lubricant spray, really well and let them soak..10 minutes, If it is still a struggle, apply again and let sit another 10 minutes. It works!

I have an 04 but not 4wd. I know on mine, ford guy dropped the vapor canister and spare tire to have more room on the back driver side to have more room. The others were pretty easy to get to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, that is the way to do it. Anymore if something doesnt break loose pretty eay I go to the "liquid wrench". Sometimes, if I think about it, I will spray the bolts down real good the night before I work on it. And the next day it is no problem at all.

Who cares about getting the bolts off nicely? Cut the bolts off. You are replacing the shock. The only bolt to worry about is the bottom bolts on the rear shocks.

Tom

You would be hard pressed to cut out the upper rears, spray them down, wire brush away any crap, start wrenching on them, they will come out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts