Shifter issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo Flash

Reaction score
2002 sport 2wd

I have a strange problem with my truck. The gear Selector slides from park to reverse and so on. Typically on fords when you select a gear for the truck it would make a CLICK sound going from each gear to the final one you select. Mine dose not do this. The following parts have already been changed.

Cable from the transmission to the shifter

Shifter bushings

Shifter tube and entire assembly

Torx screws on the back side of the shift tube.

I can figure out why it won't click from gear to gear. It just kinda slides all over the place. All gears work fine but it dose not seem safe.

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Does the whole shifter move too or just the indicator on the dash?

Sounds like the dtents are bad.

Todd Z

The shifter allows you to pull it normally. It has zero play in it. When you would normally engage a gear by pulling it to you then down to elect a specific gear it dose not CLICK from R to N to D like normal. It rather just slides from each. The only time you have to slightly pull it towards the driver is when going to park. Other than that it just slides.

What's the dtents?

The shifter allows you to pull it normally. It has zero play in it. When you would normally engage a gear by pulling it to you then down to elect a specific gear it dose not CLICK from R to N to D like normal. It rather just slides from each. The only time you have to slightly pull it towards the driver is when going to park. Other than that it just slides.

What's the dtents?

Its the part the shifter locks into when you put it in the position wanted.

Sounds like the spring, tooth or something is bad with the shifter in the steering column.

look on line at diagrams and you should see.

Todd Z

After looking for most of the morning my issue seems to be inside of the transmission. Internally under the pan is a Spector switch or some type of pin. Simple to fix for most shops. Fingers crossed this works.

Ok let us know the outcome.

Todd Z

Also I seem to remember. There is a column bolt under the dash. If it gets loose or falls out. The shifter acts up.

Apply emergency brake. Truck NOT running -off.

Pop the shifter cable from the lever at the transmission. It is easy to do, just crawl under an pry it off with a large screw driver.

Verify that you can select all gears at the trans and that the detents are all good by moving the lever with a pair of vise grips at the trans.

If you can move the selector properly through the detents at the trans, then your problem is either the cable or the mechanism in the column.

If the lever is hard to move, or feels non distinct, it may not be in the trans, it could be the shift position sensor/neutral safety switch fouling up. If this is the case then loosen it's two attachment bolts and then try moving the lever through it's detents.

If it feels good now then you have isolated the problem to the shift sensor. If you still don't get clean movement with detents then your problem is in the transmission.

If its the sensor...new sensor is about $60 at your local parts store. Remove the bolt on the lever, disconnect harness and pry the old sensor off.

Clean the shaft off and install new sensor and be careful to align the key in the switch to the shaft on the trans.

Make sure the switch goes on the shaft all the way before tightening the two bolts (do not rely on the two bolts to pull it onto the shaft, it will just warp the switch housing). Put the trans selector in the neutral position and align the marks on the switch (you may have to temporarily attach lever to do this and remove again). Now tighten the two bolts.

Replace the lever and big bolt. Re-connect harness, reattach cable and test starting the truck and moving the shifter. If you can't move the lever then the switch didn't go in correctly, re-check switch alignment to neutral and make sure the cable is plugged in.

If the problem is not at the transmission...

There is a known issue with torx bolts getting loose on the column actuator. You have to crawl under the dash to look.

There are two nylon bushings in the column for the shift "axle" to ride in, but I doubt those are worn.

I doubt it is the shift cable but that is easy to check.

FWIW, my shifter was getting hard to move. I replaced the cable and did not notice much improvement. It turned out to be the shift position sensor on the transmission was not moving freely.

This is how I know all about the shift mechanism on the sport trac.

Last edited by a moderator:
All very good information!

My detent Spector inside of the pan was actually broken. I replaced everything on the Colum and the shifter cable as well. I tried to make a YouTube video of this but it didn't work. Easiest place to start is the Colum but if that fails move on to the tranny.

Sounds familiar......lol

Glad its fixed.

Todd Z

Thanks for posting this. I have been having issues with the shifting lever being very loose and when going from neutral to drive. The star head bolts under the dash were a little bit loose. Once I tightened them, most of the looseness went away. Now I have to see if that had anything to do with my other issue. When I first start off with the engine and trans not being warmed up, my 05 sport trac studders for a few moments when I get up to about 15 mph, then goes away. I think it's a transmission related problem and not an engine problem. I'll look for previous posts to see if I can find anything.