Shift interlock switch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
The shifter interlock switch is getting balky on my 2010 Trac. Often I have to pump the brake pedal to get the interlock solenoid to operate so I can shift out of park. I see that there are two switches on the brake pedal- one for the brake lights and one for the cruise control release. Which one also operates the shifter interlock?

Thanks for any help.

Probably the brake lights. Verify whether the brakes lights work when this occurs. Check the wire going in to both switches. I had a F-150 where the wire fatigued and broke within the insulation, but couldn't see it. Presented as random problem. Replacing the connector fixed it.

Confirmed brake light switch is failing. Brake lights work only part of the time. Don't have time to mess with it and I need the truck for a 400 mile trip tomorrow, so I took it to the dealer this morning.

The switch or the wire going to it? If it's the wire, they'll try to get you to buy a harness (because they don't repair wiring). If so, DIY.