Shaking/Vibration after Magnaflow Install... any ideas?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I followed some advice and purchased the Magnaflow 14236. This am had them cut out the muffler and resonator. It sounds great but on the drive home I noticed shaking/vibration when I accelerate at various rpm's. I disconnected the battery for 20 minutes and looked under...to say it was a lousy welding/install job was an understatement...Bad welds, no curved pipes, to missing hanger in a long section,etc.... this from the only Magnaflow dealer in my area.

So my question... could it be the lousy install causing the vibration or is it the computer trying to cope with the increased airflow? If so... then this is why a tuner is recommended? Anyone else experience this after a new muffler?

Thanks for your ideas!

Did they use the new style hangers. And at least one in back of the muffler. They should have cut the rods off the old and welded them to the new muffler. If they useda mufler shorter than 21". You may need a hanger 2feet before the muffler. The muffler should be welded with the outlet at the tail pipe.

Sounds as if they gas welded.

Improper hangers and not bending pipe to properly meet up. Can cause undo shaking. of the exhaust system.

It is True - a poor install can also make you think you are running on 7 - ita all about back pressure and harmonics - I am on my 4th muffler after adding the blower, they simply blow out - when they blow out they leak and the truck vibrates and runs so bad you would think a cylinder dropped - I have a buddy with a Dyno so any muffler change I get tuned anyhow - I have a Dr Gas X Pipe Muffler now and it helped get to the 487 however the drone with two resonators is annoying as hell!

Thanks for the responses. The STA is running smoother today which leads me to think it is the computer relearning.

Supercharged- It was shaking so violently i though the truck was running on 7. If it was a clean install, I would have pointed to the ECU but it was horrible. I have to post pics.

by the looks of your other post . The new hangers look solid with no room to move around. This will cause some serious vibration and rattle. exhaust are suppose to hang. not be solid and stiff.

problem discovered! So I took my truck to a reputable Midas location and they corrected the botched job. While it was on the lift, the mechanic discovered the the previous installer had pushed and then welded the exhaust so far back that the hump that goes over the axle was actually banging into the axle during my initial drive. Only after it was fully dented in did it clear the axle.... Now i'm really pissed at that Magnaflow dealer

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

i replied to your other thread, but the dent you pictured is OEM. It was rubbing judging from the scraping, but the dent was already there. I can snap a picture of my exhaust and there is a dent in the same place for clearance.

Latest posts