Serpentine Belt is Slipping

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Hayes

V6 Engine
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
So this morning I heard it making noise, I saw it had scooted off the bottom pulley (V6, that's the Power Steering Pump I believe) and it was running on the clutch or flywheel instead of the pulley.

I got a new belt installed tonight, but when I got home I hear it making noise. Sure enough, the new belt had shifted down off the pulley also.

I'm going to go over it all in the morning to see if something is loose, but has anyone else seen this issue? I searched and couldn't find any information.

DITTO for the Gates tensoner. Better because of using a flat wound spring vs wire wound spring. The flat wound spring has less bounce and stability, longer durability vs wire. I have used them on other Fords. When the day comes for my Trac, it will be Gates.
Not sure if the gen2 pully arangement is the same as gen1 4.0L. I and others are using belts .5" shorter also, with good results.

I didn't have a Gates locally available, but the Dayco is supposed to have a flat spring in it also (see link attached in comment above).

I got it swapped on Thursday, then drove it all day Friday in the snow and ran errands on Saturday. Took back the tension I didn't use (the Litens) and had Advance check my battery, start and alternator while I was there. Everything checked good.

Sunday it stalled out on me when I was trying to get 10 minutes down the road. No idea what went wrong. But it doesn't seem belt/tensioner related. So I'm having my guy look at it further. I'm wondering if my fuel pump has given up. I turn the key and it tries to turn over, but it won't just do it. I hear my dad's voice telling me "Fuel, Air, Spark". And I know I just swapped the air filter, and that the electronics are solid, so that leaves "fuel" up in the air.

That is strange. I had an article a few years back about gates flat spring. Maybe they switched builders, like china..
I might have saved the article, I will look. Now Im confused also.
Thanks, Steve

MAKE sure its not a bad Crank pulley Harmonic balancer !!

Found it.

So that was the pulley I thought I was having issues with in the original post. The balancer has 2 pulleys on it, and the belt only uses the smaller pulley closet to the radiator When I tried to get the belt onto the bigger pulley the routing didn't line up and it would move down.

Man, after reading some of those posts, I'm pretty convinced it's the harmonic balancer. Thank god it didn't do that when I was driving home in the snow with the kids Friday night. Here's hoping for the $250-$350 bill most guys reported.

Good call on Todd's part. Seemed to be a more common failure years ago. Now days it's timing chains and transmissions. GL

I have been running the underdrive pully set for maybe 8yrs. I wonder if I can ever expect the harmonic to fail?
Im not sure a new one could be found. Never looked for availability, purchased my set from a member.
pullys.jpg

Sorry Eddie, not thinking. Mustang forums may be good source for leads. GL

Eddie, I would hope aftermarket was manufactured batter then the OEM crap..... I have not heard of 1 failing yet..... I have heard of tones of the OEM....