1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

See this? It leaks.

Thread in 'Exhaust' started by Mark K 2, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mark K 2

Mark K 2 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

I got a nice pic for you. Now... How do you suggest I get these bolts out? Sawz-All? Rachet/socket/Vise grips? Air chisel?

I have a new gasket and bolt kit.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
  2. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

saw-zal............

3. OLE442

OLE442 Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

When my brother in law owned a Muffler Brothers shop, he would use an acetlene/oxy torch to melt them out. Did a nice job fast but I doubt I could have done as well.....good luck!

4. Mark K 2

Mark K 2 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

Stopped at the local muffler shop and the manager looked at it. He said he'd use my parts and charge $40 to torch the bolts and install the new parts. Can't beat that. Thursday at 1 PM. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2015
  5. Jerry Gerner 2

Jerry Gerner 2 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner V8 Engine

Damn $40 to do ten minutes of work max. Geeze, call me cheap but I'd use a 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the bolts out, grind down the flange clean and reinstall the new bolts myself, 15 minute job max and save $40. LOL

:banana:

6. Richard McAlister

Richard McAlister Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

If you have no lift, and you are going to have to lie under the truck, and get everything lined back up to bolt back together. Sounds like $40 well spent.

7. Kurt DeVries

Kurt DeVries Member 1st Gen Owner V6 Engine

I agree with rmcalis. I just replace my entire exhaust from the cat back last weekend. Luckily for me, my brother has a nice shop for building street drags and track cars. I went over there and together, we managed to have the exhaust changed in an hour and a half. Two out the three hanger brackets were rusted through and the exhaust leaked in the same spot yours is. My leak was due to the fact that the gasket was almost gone and the flanged on the muffler side was cracked almost all the way around. We used a 4.5" grinder to cut the bolts out and again to cut away the ears of the flange on the cat side since the harsh Wisconsin weather and road salt left not much meat to it. Yours does look in slightly better shape though. I used a walker split flange part number 36131 to replace the flange on the cat. Everything else went together pretty decent (except for trying to squeeze the tailpipe and the welded on hanger bracket between the passenger side leaf spring and the frame). I do not think I would have attempted all this without the lift though. Good Luck.