See this? It leaks.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
I got a nice pic for you. Now... How do you suggest I get these bolts out? Sawz-All? Rachet/socket/Vise grips? Air chisel?

I have a new gasket and bolt kit.

a7cdc0dee8ffa3edcc847ca3fa260114.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When my brother in law owned a Muffler Brothers shop, he would use an acetlene/oxy torch to melt them out. Did a nice job fast but I doubt I could have done as well.....good luck!

Stopped at the local muffler shop and the manager looked at it. He said he'd use my parts and charge $40 to torch the bolts and install the new parts. Can't beat that. Thursday at 1 PM. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn $40 to do ten minutes of work max. Geeze, call me cheap but I'd use a 4.5" grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the bolts out, grind down the flange clean and reinstall the new bolts myself, 15 minute job max and save $40. LOL

:banana:

I agree with rmcalis. I just replace my entire exhaust from the cat back last weekend. Luckily for me, my brother has a nice shop for building street drags and track cars. I went over there and together, we managed to have the exhaust changed in an hour and a half. Two out the three hanger brackets were rusted through and the exhaust leaked in the same spot yours is. My leak was due to the fact that the gasket was almost gone and the flanged on the muffler side was cracked almost all the way around. We used a 4.5" grinder to cut the bolts out and again to cut away the ears of the flange on the cat side since the harsh Wisconsin weather and road salt left not much meat to it. Yours does look in slightly better shape though. I used a walker split flange part number 36131 to replace the flange on the cat. Everything else went together pretty decent (except for trying to squeeze the tailpipe and the welded on hanger bracket between the passenger side leaf spring and the frame). I do not think I would have attempted all this without the lift though. Good Luck.

Latest posts