Rusty Shackles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
While inspecting the underside of my 05 ST 4wd XLT I found rear shackles were very rusty and cracked to the point that the one on the driver's side was split in two. Now I really don't have a problem with this because I live in the northeast and the winters are tough on all cars here. That said I do have a problem with my Ford dealer and it's service dept. for not bringing this dangerous safety issue to my attention. I have let the local Ford service dept. handle all of my service on this and my wife's car as well and have relied on them to let me know of any issues that need attention. My last service the Tech told me I will need a new Serpentine belt soon and to think about replacing the rear shock absorbers as they are rusty. I bought the shocks and was planning to do them myself and that's when I found the shackle problem. Now I'm contemplating having a discussion with the service manager about this issue.

Yeah so were mine but with the help of an air hammer and PB Blaster and a lot of swearing I got them out of the bushings. Should have been easy but I wouldn't say it went that way at all but it's done and now to see what the Ford Service writer has to say as to why they didn't catch this. I would have paid to have this job done had they done so.

Just had mine replaced this last weekend. MAN they were rusty! Same as yours. Drivers side barely holding on , and a suspension squeek that would wake dead people. Had a NASTY vibration on the highway, this seemed to help.

Latest posts