rust on the running boards

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha folks, the running boards on the drivers side are rusting. 'seems to be under the non slip track on top. Do these tracks just pop up with a screw driver? there doesn't seem to be any bolt on the under side! I have used "PB blaster" but the rust keeps coming back! Any ideas?
God bless Ed

the pads are held in by strong clips... you will snap a few prying up on the pads. The steps rust from the inside out, NOT an easy fix...... Most replace with stainless steel.

TKS Todd, I was afraid of breaking clips. I don't think that I would like SS though.

Had the same thing. Even rusted thru in the front where salt and stones hit them. My clips were part of the rubber tread. If yours the same, you can go from below and squeeze them together and push them thru. I did break the first one when trying to pry it up, but after going at it from the bottom it was easy.

Sanded in place, taped off the truck and sprayed in place. Replaced the treads. Piece o cake.

Latest posts