RT High Flow Cat & Y-Pipe FAQ ;)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Hey all, Im thinkin about taking up the offer on these 2 parts. I would just like an explaination of both, and what they do, and how they work.

I also wanted to know, there are 4 cats on the ST, the High Flow replaces all of them? How's this work?

Y-Pipe - What does that do? :)

How do they work? The allow exhaust gasses to flow better from the combustion chamber freeing up HP.

The Sport Trac actually has two converters. The other two are preheater cats that help the downstream cats work better. The highflow converter does replace both cats along with the preheater cats. OEM manufacturers have to go as clean as possible, while aftermarket manufacturers do not. That doesn't mean it will be dirty or anything and you may never see a difference in polutuion.

As for the y pipe... we have V6's. We have 1 exhaust pipe. How do you think it goes from two pipes to one?

<font size=+5>Y</font>

Tom

SST, Im in Canada, and we dont have any emissions laws as of yet.

I realize what the y-pipe does, but how is this one better than whatevers on there now?

Removing the 2 preheat cats, and the 2 cats, is this going to cause an issue with o2 sensors, etc?

The Hi-flow cat only removes the 2 main cats. The y-pipe removes the pre-cats.

Here's what the ST comes with, pre-cats.

[Broken External Image]:

Here's the y-pipe.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Yes, you can install the y-pipe yourself. If you have welded on exhaust, the hi-flow cat will need to be welded to your aftermarket exhaust, but if you have a bolt-on exhaust or the stock exhaust, you won't need to weld it.

My y-pipe was done in a driveway at 11pm in the dark and the cold with a flashlight :D You will need some long extensions and an elbow for your socket. Oh, and be careful not to shear the bolts :D

Here's how my exhaust sounded with the y-pipe and 2 cats.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/9914/Exhaust/Exhaust12152006.mp3

and here's how it sounded with the hi-flow cat.

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/9914/Exhaust/ExhaustStart.mp3

Much deeper and louder, the first one is taken from right next to the exhaust, the second one is taken from in the cab.

Unfortunately I dont have speakers here at work, lol.

Is it quite a bit louder? Like annoyingly loud? I have the FM 40 exhaust, since in dual out right now... I love the way it sounds, I dont think id want it TOO much louder, but the HP is more important than that.

When will I be able to smoke th tires? :) hahaha... I think I got it all cept the ToddZ stuff, and these 2 items.

XST,

Dont forget, we dont have smog laws here in Alberta, so you can remove your rear cat and get the RT ypipe to replace the front 2.

Is it quite a bit louder? Like annoyingly loud? I have the FM 40 exhaust, since in dual out right now... I love the way it sounds, I dont think id want it TOO much louder, but the HP is more important than that.

If you already have the Flowmaster 40 and like the sound then the Y-pipe will only improve the sound and horsepower. I also have the Flowmaster 40 Delta flow and had that before the Y-pipe. It sounded great but once I installed the Y-Pipe the sound got deeper and even better. I am now thinking about getting a high flow cat for myself. :D

George

Also most of the time if the vehicle has over 50K miles your allowed to remove the Pre cats.

Depends on your state...

Here in NY your required to have a cat on the truck. but you can remove all the others...

The sound and performance is great !!!

Todd Z

Call a local inspection station...

Todd Z

Like Texas, most states dont require the pre-cats. They are on there for California and low emissions at startup. It is cheaper for the manufactor to build them all the same than have multiple systems..

How many HP increase would someone with the XCal Race tune, Single In Dual Out Flowmaster 40, the Highflo Cat, the Ypipe, Your throttle body, and your intake?

make sure that the RT parts will work on an 07 (and a V8 no less) before you go signing up for stuff (no one has confirmed that the parts will work or not).