1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

Roof leak?

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Kleffler, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Kleffler

Kleffler Member

I have a 2001 XLS model. Brother bought it in 2003. I bought it from him for my sons first vehicle Pretty nice condition but when it rains the headliner above DS A pillar gets week. Depending upon rainfall sometimes it drips onto back seat. It has a moon/sun roof and roof racks. Where would it be leaking from?

thanks

kelly

2. Apats77

Apats77 Member 1st Gen Owner 4 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Check the drains where the hoses connect behind the headliner. Mine the hoses shrunk overtime and pulled away. I went to Home Depot and got 5/8s??? Hose and hose barb connector and made my own extension. If you pull it to much it will fall out of a rubber grommet that is at the other end where it drains from located halfway down the door jam.

fixing this is a pain but cheaply done.

mine still leaks all around the edges of headliner/moon roof but it drains outside instead of the floor.

3. Kleffler

Kleffler Member

Drains appear unclogged as I poured a glass of water in each side last night while it was in the garage and water came out on floor behind front tires. There is a rain channel in the metal roof and it runs into the windshield rubber. Could this be the problem? Also tightened the screws a bit on the roof rack

thanks for all assistance

kelly

4. Ed Fenwick

Ed Fenwick Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner

If it is not the sunroof, (there should be 4 drains), My next check would be the rack screws. Tightening may not stop a leak you may need to add some seal on them! Maybe someone else knows the system better.

5. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Left and Right A-pillars, and Left and Right B-pillars.
    If it is the rack screws. The threads need to be coated with Black RTV silicone.