Road Trip Prep

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Hayes

V6 Engine
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
Me, the girlfriend, and the Sport Trac are going to be driving from Western KY all the way up to Detroit next month. Presently, my task list looks like this:

1. Get new struts installed.

2. Rotate Tires

3. Detail/Wax top to bottom.

Any other suggestions?

Also, on my 2007 (Gen 2) 2WD, do I need a spring compressor to install those struts? Recommend buying one or renting one?

Oil change if it's close to time to do it, air filter if it's dirty, fuel filter because you don't know if it's dirty. I would get the wheels balanced as well as rotated. Spark plugs if you're never changed them or if it's time. I wouldn't worry about the struts if it doesn't bounce. I have 130k on my '08 with the OE struts and they're still fine. Struts last a lot longer than shocks.

If you do regular maintenance on your vehicle, you don't need to do much of anything to the truck to prepare for a road trip. I think that round-trip from Western Kentucky to Detroit woud be less than 1000 miles, so that should not be a big issue.

If there is nothing wrong with the truck and don't have any indication that something might not be up to making a road trip, then you should fix it. Things like soft or leaking hoses, bad belts or tires, etc. When going on a road trip that might take me over my oil change mileage, I will often forego the oil change until after I get home....Nothing worse than getting an oil change before a trip and have issues because the drain plug is stripped or leaking, or the oil filter is leaking, etc. The fact that you went 1000 miles or more over your normal oil change intervals is not a big deal.... My experience is that those last minute changes or updates often cause the problems on the road. My strategy is, "If it ain't broke, and it ain't acting up, don't fix it" :grin:

...Rich

I'm due for a balance/rotate. So that's why I was going to have that done before instead of after.

The shocks need to be done (struts was a mistype, my apologies). I'm worried about the spring compressor and use more so than anything else. All the jobs I've found have been on gen1 sport tracs in the project section.

The detail and wax is just my own OCD :grin:

Jake,

If you are due for a tire rotation, that's fine....If you are not experiencing any abnormal tire wear, vibrations, or pulling to either side, you probably don't need balancing, alignment, etc.

If you have never changed Struts, it's not hard, but I would not recommend doing the job the day before you leave on your road trip.... Be sure to do it a few weeks before your planned trip so you have time to test drive the vehicle to be sure everything is working correctly. Also, I would recommend that you have the front-end alignment checked after doing any suspension work.

Like I said, it's those last minute rush jobs that bite you in the ass at the most inconvenient times...when you are on the road, miles from home.

...Rich

Exactly why I'm asking now. Shocks are already in the mail, just need to get a spring compressor to get the job done. I assumed an alignment check would be a good call after replacing shocks, probably after a rotation too.

Thanks for the help guys, always nice to have a sanity check.

Jake,

Alignment is not needed after shock replacement, but Struts are different. They are components of the suspension and steering geometry. Any slight variations in dimensions of the new Struts can effect alignment so it's always wise to have the alignment checked after changing any of the steering components. Regular shocks can be replaced without any changes that effect the steering geometry.

...Rich

Lower your spare tire and check pressure and condition. It's prolly low. Look at the mfr date (end of DOT string). If it's really old you might want to fit a new spare. Nothing like a flat tire on road trip with defective spare to ruin the trip.

Good call Vic! I'll do that when I change the rear shocks.

Today I encountered the front shocks. I was unable to move the 24mm bolt/nut that connects it to the frame. More research needed.

Jake,

While your checking your spare tire, you might want to flip the tire over so that the outside of the rim and the tire valve face down, so you can easily crawl under the truck and check the tire pressure in the future without having to lower the spare tire. I picked up that little tip from a local tire store when I had my 2001 Sport Trac.

Latest posts