Reset check engine light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B Lindler

Reaction score
Was driving my 08 ST when check engine light came on and had low engine temperature. Stopped by AdvancedAuto and hey said codes suggested thermostat stuck open. Just replaced it and engine temp is back up, ran for about 10 minutes, ran heat at full for a while, but Check a Engine Light still on. Do I need to have it reset? If so, how? Go back to AdvancedAuto, or O'Reillys?

Thanks as always for any help.

I believe they can do it with their scanner or I've always disconnected the negative batter cable and wait 5-10 min and reconnect it and that's usually worked.

If you replaced the thermostat did you bleed the cooling system? Does engine warm up normally after first start of day?

I did not bleed the system. I only lost about a half a quart of antifreeze so just topped it off. It warmed up normally the first time I statrted it, but I haven't driven it anywhere yet. Will that be an issue?

Shouldn't be a problem then. How's your Trac running now after the thermostat change? Is the CEL still on? If it hasn't gone out on its own, then yes, you'll need to clear it with either a scan tool or the battery disconnect method.

Latest posts