replacing exhaust cost?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Cogar

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently have been having a exhaust leak and tried fixing it myself. I replaced the donut gasket and bolts. When i took off the old bolts and gasket it was for a good reason because they were rusted to hell and needed to be changed.

When i started up the ST after i placed the donut gasket and bolts, the exhaust actually got worse. FML. I ended up taking some rust off of the top of the exhaust where i replaced the donut gasket. The pipe that goes over the donut gasket has rusted off a little bit. It is a very small amount of rust missing but still it lets the air leaks out.

What i mean is i have a hole in my exhaust.

I feel like such a small thing should be an easy fix.

It sucks cause it looks goof from the bottom but the top is...well a little rusted?

To the shop?

whole new exhaust? what does it cost? i just want a general exhaust system. I might even make a visit to the junk yard.

I am a little strapped for cash

This picture is from before i replaced the bolts and donut gasket.

[Broken External Image]:

I think you can use High Temp jb weld. To fill in the pits where the donut leaks.

Make it nice smooth.

If that doesnt' work. Just weld it. I would try the jb weld first. My brother had a etch in the exhast manifold surface. On his old '73 ford truck 390cui motor. It kept blowing out new thick composition gaskets. He used the high temp jb. Smoothed it off. It never leaked again.

Kyle,

Got your email. I checked Rockauto, and that pipe is available. It is AP exhaust part #38831.The price is $18.86. They say to have it welded in place. If you can't repair your pipe, you may have to go this route. The bad thing with exhaust is you replace one part and the next one in line needs it too. Good luck with your Trac.

Mike

Latest posts