Replacing Ball Joints

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have an updated Project, step-by-step procedure for replacing the front ball joints on my 4x4 2005 Sport trac? A local place was going to charge me $400 to do it and I felt that was too expensive. Any suggestions, lessons learned, or advice?

All 4? Parts plus the wheel alignment for $400 ??? Thats a DAM good price...

I dont beleive there is any new project on this....... Do you have a shop repair manual ??

Todd Z

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188225

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194453

Last edited by a moderator:
Search Youtube for Explorer Ball joint replacement. I saw 3 of them that really helped me when I did mine. If you buy your parts online and rent the tools from the parts store, you can come out alive for almost $200 and spend the rest on Dinner.:haveabeer:

Lowers are not difficult to change. You can get a loaner press at AutoZone or Advanced Auto for free. Ball joints are around $30 - 35 each. I have had much better luck with OEM than aftermarket but other prefer the aftermarket that you have to grease.

One thing on the 4X4. Before you press in the new joint look at the orientation of you grease fitting and verify its pointing to the front or back to you can get to it. You have to have it out to get the yoke back on.

Mike,

Did I am going to use MOOG Problem Solver lower ball joints like I did with the uppers which have served me well. I also replaced that outer tie rod ends with MOOG Problem Solvers and have more control with better handling. Going to do the inner tie rod ends as soon as the new Energy Suspension tie rod boots come in.

:driving::supercool:

I have had much better luck with OEM than aftermarket but other prefer the aftermarket that you have to grease.

Mike, not sure of your service you use your Trac for.

Im not famuliar with the Trac. As mine has not needed ball joints yet.

My long time experiance with other vehicles. Mine and family. Has been moogs that I can put a few shots of grease in, 5k to 6k. Always outlasted the oem..

It has been my opinion. After inspection of non greasables. they went bad because they were dry or the grease was shot. Even when the boots were intact.

I have a nieghbor that had, a lower oem on a crown vic. It seperated at 35k infront of my house. The boot was good, the grease wasnt. we got it in front of his house. Using a heavy steel floor jack.

I will always be a believer in greasable suspension parts. Of course I never use cheap grease either.

First OEM set lasted 92K before replacing. No maintenance required

Over next 72K miles replaced 6 lower ball joints. PITA greasing every oil change.

Upper OEM lasted 120K before replacing left side. No maintenance required.

Aftermarket lasted 40K. PITA greasing every oil change.

Living were I do and not having a heated garage maintenance free is a HUGE deal.

Use what you want. For me its a matter of shopping around and getting the best price on OEM.

re: ball joints by MikeVT,4/27/2012 18:01 ET

I take exception, sealed and clean has lasted longer for me. I went through a moog problem solver about every 20K. OEM lasted almost 100K. Just me .....

re: Replacing Ball Joints by MikeVT,5/22/2012 03:49 ET

Aftermarket lasted 40K. PITA greasing every oil change.

20K or 40K? :argue:

What brand where the after markets. 40K is odd low life for any ball joint. So was my neighbors oem. But his had dried grease.

Latest posts