Removing Tie Down Hooks Part 2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Kreiter

Reaction score
Hey Guys....Thanks for the tips in my earlier post. Used a socket and a bar. Took my time and used a penetrant, but unfortunately still ened up snapping one bolt...:cry:

So, do you know if it is possible to replace that inside bracket if I can't get the remains of the bolt out? Thanks for all your help.....Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch. Ditto what StadEMS3 said. Aside from drilling out and retapping, an EZ Out

may be your only option. Can also be bought individually, rather than a complete set.

Hope the billet covers came with stainless allen screws. As Todd said, use anti seize. GL

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure that you flatten out the top of the offending bolt (with a grinder), then center punch it - before you start drilling. I've seen quite a few people try to drill out a broken bolt without flattening and ceter punching... the drill bit skated off of the bolt and did a number on the paint & panel.

Drill a pilot hole, then go to a larger bit (somewhere in the range of 1/8" to 1/16" smaller than the diameter of the bolt), try not to punch right through & make sure you drill as straight as posiible to minimize damage to the threaded portion of the mounting plate.

Be gentle with the EZ-outs, they can break rather easily as well - but, since youve relieved some of the 'pressure' by drilling out the center of the bolt, it should come out relatively easily. By not drilling all the way through the broken bolt, you will have left enough strength in the bolts structure that it shouldn't collapse (and subsequentally wedge itself in the hole).

Good luck.

Latest posts