remote start while in the garage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
So, this is a question about my new Ford Edge... I know there are other forums for these vehicles but I don't want to register to just ask one question. If a car has a remote start capability, can you start it in a closed garage? The question was brought up among some friends because when we remote start our Edge, you still have to step on the brake and push the start button to actually drive away. Which leads me to wonder...when you remote start a vehicle, is it only activating the climate control functions and not the actual engine which would produce carbon monoxide (I'm a firefighter, I know how bad that would be)? I could start the Edge and see if any exhaust comes from the pipe, but it's 1degree out and don't really want to start it for a minute and shut it off....Plus the Packers are on!!

Think about it: If the purpose of remote start is to heat up/cool down the vehicle's interior, the HVAC systems are dependent upon the engine to function. So yes, the engine will run.

Engine has to run...... Many people in cold climates use the exhaust hoses like you have in the fire house through a vent in the garage wall.

Cheaper, and safer solution, Electric heat the garage......

Todd Z

Latest posts