Recommendations for replacing shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Moran

Reaction score
Hello,

My 2007 Sport Trac is in need of new shocks. I have over 190,000 miles with the original OEM shocks. Does anyone have any experience/recommendations on a quality pair?

Thanks,

Shawn

Yes, I recommend replacing your OEM shocks :grin:

Anything is better than OEM shocks. I used Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks on my 2003 Sport Trac and they worked very well for my driving needs. Stopped a lot of the lean and rocking back and forth when going over bumps.

...Riich

Last edited by a moderator:
You will be very happy with the Sensa-tracks and the cost is low.

Save tons of time and go with a "loaded" setup from Monroe or rancho..... Comes Complete with strut, spring, and mount..... 4 bolts each side and done..

Todd Z

Sensa-tracs are called Spectrum OE now. I have them on the front of my '02 Sport Trac, and front and rear on my '01 ST. I like them fine on the front, but they're a little softer than I'd like for the rear. The '01 has an aftermarket fiberglass cover, so there is always some weight back there. I've pulled a trailer load of firewood, and they were ok, but I prefer the air shocks I have on the '02. I don't know how any of this info translates to a 2nd Gen though.

My 2007 Sport Trac is in need of new shocks.

STRUTS, not shocks. (Gen 2)

I'm interested to see what swshawaii chooses for his Gen2. I've got 88,000 on my 07 and know I'll be needing to replace mine sometime in the future. What is a ballpark number of miles before replacement should be considered?

Benny

^ My 2005 Gen 1 (2001-05) has been riding on Monroe SensaTrac's (now OE Spectrum) SHOCKS since I bought it used in 2009 with 46k on it. I'm now at 78k. They are designed as OEM replacements and generally regarded as comfort shocks with a soft ride. They suit my driving style and conditions perfectly, and for the price including Monroe's rebate for $25 per shock I couldn't go wrong. OP's Gen 2 (2007-10) uses struts. Monroe or KYB were the only Gen 2 choices not long ago. More to choose from now.

I have rancho rsx on my '04 gen1. They are great. The monroe reflex are the same. Both are out of production for the trac.

The replacment is the rancho rs5000 series. If you like a controled ride. The stiffness will go away in about 500 miles. The dive and dipping control will stay. JMO

thanks to swshawaii i called munro (i think unrelated) for the monroe shocks and they want 500 all in on the purchase and installation...thats not a good price is it???....i see them for about 90 for all four on ebay..i heard it was tough to do the rears..any thoughts from the experts out there like swshawaii and todd and others???

BTW, there's a little more than "four bolts each side and done" to replacing even the loaded shocks as you can see by reading my installation experience. A proper set of coil spring compressors might help but I didn't have that when I did mine.

Also, they are not true "struts". I think the correct description would be closer to coil-over shocks. As a matter of fact, I believe that is the term Ford used when describing the suspension design in their original advertising.

Gary, here's a link for Gen 1 shock installation found in the projects section. Fronts are cake, rear drivers upper shock nuts are a PITA due to very tight access. Highly recommend using a 13mm swivel head ratchet, it will cut your time drastically and are very handy to have around. Thanks Eddie S. for the tip years ago. Fortunately, 'Tis the Season to buy tools. Sears has the GearWrench (44006) 7 piece metric set on sale for $30. Very good deal although I'm NOT a Sears fan for many past reasons. IMO, $500 installed is WAY too much.

http://www.sears.com/gearwrench-7-pc-metric-full-polish-ratcheting-flex/p-00944006000P?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

Been doing these this way..... No need to disconnect any thing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOMMuAj5TQ4

Latest posts