rear window vent wont work

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith wallace01ST

Reaction score
so i tried what sal sugested

Here are the steps from the Shop manual

1: Start with the ignition key in the OFF position

2: turn the ignition Key to the ON position

3: Press the rear glass control switch vent button 6 times

4: Turn the ignition key to the OFF position

5: Press the rear glass control switch vent button 6 more times

6: turn the ignition to the ON position. at this point the rear window will move up and down approximatley 20mm (0.8 in). this movement signifies that the rear window glass motor has entered into the initialization mode

7: NOTE: the rear window glass control switch must be held in the UP or DOWN position until the window glass stops moving. failure to hold the switch will end the initialization operation. then the initialization will have to be re-started.

Hold the rear window glass control switch in the full UP position until the rear window glass stops in the full up posistion

this is taken right from the Ford Sport Trac Shop Manual for a 2001

Page 501-11-111

This needs to be done anytime the motor or switch is disconnected

But that did not help any the rear window still goes up and down but not to vent mode

any other idea such as relays or switch ???

If the motor moves like it is supose to. thenthe only other thing is the switch that I know of.

I will look in the manual when I get to work.. I will try to scan the pages and post them..

If anyone else knows anything.. please speak up.

I uploaded the pages in my Libary. Under 2001 Manual

the pages for the rear window are

501-11-76 77

501-11-78 79

501-11-80 81

Hope this helps..

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't there sensors that trip the stopping point of the vent position?

If so, it could either be a sensor or the module that the motor is wired to.

Anyone else think Ford made this window way more complicated then it needed to be? I mean if it's a safety thing why aren't the windows in the doors the same way? (thankfully they are not) I would love to convert that rear window to a mechanism as simple and powerful as the door windows....

Sorry I'm no help with your problem..

Latest posts