rear wheel keeper clips

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas brandin 2

Reaction score
I recently put wheel spacers on the read of my '05 ST with 30,000 miles. I have been having trouble with shimmying. I have bought new shocks, two new tires (Uniroyal liberators) and have the wheels/tires balanced and rotated several times...no help. In replacing the left rear, I noticed the wheel spacer was not sitting down flat. Should I remove this clip ? Please answer soon. My truck is literally "up in the air"..............Thanks...doug

I'm assuming that this the "keeper clip" is on one of the wheel lugs, rite? Is there anything different about this side from the others since none of the others have this keep clip?

The clips are not needed. you should remove them with atermarket wheel. That may go for the clearance on spacers also. The clips are never replaced after complete brake jobs.

Yes, it's possible that it's bent. That would definitely cause the issues you are having. Try removeing them and see if that resolves the problem and then you will know for sure.

Try swapping them from side to side to see if anything changes. Also remove both and see if

the problem disappears...

As Fast Eddie '04 said, they are not needed and WILL prevent your spacers from lying flat. Remove the retainer and your problem should be solved. With an inch or inch and a quarter billet spacer I doubt that you bent them.