Rear Carrier Bearing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
My brother-in-law has a 2007 Sport Trac, V6 4x4 and it needs a rear drive shaft carrier bearing. He was told he needs to buy a complete drive shaft because the carrier bearing on 4 wheel drive models is not serviceable. Is that true? When I do a search so far I can only find carrier bearings for 2 wheel drives so I guess it could be true...

Looking at the one on my truck which is also a 4x4 it sure looks damn similar to the photos of the 2 wheel drive carrier bearing that everyone does sell.

Also, is there any difference between V6 & V8 rear drive shafts if it is a 4x4? It would make sense to me that the rear shaft for a 2 wheel drive would be different because of the 5-speed vs 6-speed transmission but if all 4 wheel drives use the same transfer case then I would think the rear drive shaft could be the same on all 4x4's regardless of which engine it has. ????

That's correct, its NOT serviceable.......

They are different shafts, There is a company that makes a new shaft that's serviceable...

The only other choice is a FORD oem that's crazy $$$

Check out Fort Wayne Clutch and Driveline. They custom make the shafts.

Todd Z

Thanks Todd. I told him about Fort Wayne but I think he is going to let his mechanic order a new Dorman OEM style shaft. I think he can get it for a couple hundred less than the one from Fort Wayne.

Not my truck...if it was I would have first tried to replace the carrier bearing even if it took some fab work. If that didn't work I would buy the Fort Wayne unit before any OEM style, mainly because it is serviceable.

I'm sure its just pressed on some way, Ford had to assemble it... LOL

I think a local drive shaft shop could figure it out.

If you get the Dorman number let me know, plenty of people are looking for replacements.

Todd Z

if you replace the carrier bearing. you have to disassemble the High speed CV infront of it. heard that its a PITA, but do able if you know what youre doing and take your time. Prolly need a press too.

I found a shop in Livonia, MI that's willing to rebuild it for me. New cv's, new u joint, and new bearing. If you're in the area and need his #, tell me

Is he willing to do others,,,, Cost ???

Ok, we can get new shipped for $470.... so probably not worth it.... Thanks anyway !

This is a simple replacement on 2WD Gen2 Sport Tracs, replacement bearing is Ford 7A2Z-4A499-A Bracket. The driveshafts can be disconnected by 1 bolt to enable removal of the failed bearing.

The bearing doesn't fail, the rubber between the bracket and the bearing rips apart. It also wrecks the pinion seal if not replaced in time.

Driveshaft 7A24-4K145-FD Coupling-1.jpg
Driveshaft 7A24-4K145-FD Coupling-2.jpg
Center bearing 7A2Z-4A499-A Remove-2.jpg
Center bearing 7A2Z-4A499-A Installed1.jpg
Center bearing 7A2Z-4A499-A Installed2.jpg

YUP !! on the 4wd its a nightmare !!! a Bearing puller helps so you don't have to cut, also make sure you face it the right way, its offset and only should be installed that same way.

Installed new drive shaft and everything went very smooth pretty much like if I was doing a video. Runs good but I did notice a vibration/binding sound if I pull off giving it a few horses. Did you have that happen and my guess it is the UJ. Out on the road it is fine had it up to 90mph no issues. I jacked it up and looked to check it out but where the UJ is the carrier bearing and bracket block your view. I will call drive shaft company Tuesday...

Binding??? Is it all installed correctly??

Some people have put a small washer underneath the stud that comes through for the center carrier bearing to raid it up. Some people of had to do that and some haven’t depend upon the condition of their rear end bushings that mount to the frame. When you give the truck gas the rear and torqued down due to weak bushings and the driveshaft hits the frame.

Latest posts